Upgrade question

TheCommander

2[H]4U
Currently have an OCed 2500k which I have had for years. Is there anything worth upgrading to that would make a big difference or anything new coming soon?

Nope. Keep the 2500K unless you need something that uses more than 4 threads -- in which case you can go buy a 2600K or a 3770K as a drop-in replacement. :)

Enthusiasts are looking for games that use more than 4 threads to justify moving to hexcore CPUs, but they are still few. Depending on what you do, a 3770K might give you a decent bump, but I think a lot of hardcore enthusiasts are waiting for Haswell-E. It will be expensive, though. I wonder if some used 4770K systems will become available after Haswell-E launch.

Currently have an OCed 2500k which I have had for years. Is there anything worth upgrading to that would make a big difference or anything new coming soon?

That really depends on what you do.

But in a day to day browsing and what-not just like what my oldies do on the computer , no difference

Save your money and keep the 2500k.

I went from a 2500k to a 4770k and while I have no regrets I would say the expense overall was not worth the performance boost.

However, I love buying new shit and overclocking new chips so it was well worth it for me.

Save your money and keep the 2500k.

I went from a 2500k to a 4770k and while I have no regrets I would say the expense overall was not worth the performance boost.

However, I love buying new shit and overclocking new chips so it was well worth it for me.

My thoughts too...

The only times a customer of mine tells me that they are very happy with their upgrade and the advise I've given them were..

1. They used to have mech drives as system drives and I upgraded them to SSDs.
2. They have had a simple home PC, and found PC gaming fun, and i upgraded them from an IGP to a discrete card.
3. Those I upgraded with a discrete card above, and ask that I upgrade them with an SSD

...those are milestone breaking upgrades for them. I don't feel advising any customer to upgrade for a 10fps difference as a good advise.

They decide for themselves if they want to dump cash for a new build. If they want it, I will build it.

How about going from an i7-920 to a 4770K. Is the gig jump in bandwidth that significant since I don't OC at the moment? Or should I just buy a good noctua and OC the 920? I currently have a GTX 760 I just upgraded to to help out with gaming that I do. My current 5850 and non OCd 920 seem to run most all games just fine right now, but I'm not sure if games coming out are going to push it that much more.

@ravx25 OCing is free. Benchmark your games at your settings, find a stable of and repeat.

Back