Upgrade Question...

Joined
Oct 30, 2009
Messages
48
I have a Lynnfield i5 750 2.67GHz running at 3.715GHz. I am considering upgrading to an IB Core i7-3770. Wondering if anyone else had a similar setup and if you think it was worth it to upgrade?

Adding to my concern: I just got an AMD 7970 for Christmas and am wondering if I am going to be CPU limited on my Lynnfield or not?

Thanks for reading...
 
THere's been countless of similar threads asking the same thing. The general concensus is that that CPU is good enough for most people to hold on to for a while longer and wait for Haswell before upgrading.
 
It kinda depends on what you're doing with the system, but for 90% of the use, you will not notice difference going to IB... Get an SSD for tangible performance increase...
 
I have a Lynnfield i5 750 2.67GHz running at 3.715GHz. I am considering upgrading to an IB Core i7-3770. Wondering if anyone else had a similar setup and if you think it was worth it to upgrade?

Adding to my concern: I just got an AMD 7970 for Christmas and am wondering if I am going to be CPU limited on my Lynnfield or not?

Thanks for reading...

I assume that you would need a new motherboard to accommodate that i7-3770? If so, then wait until Haswell to upgrade the CPU, mobo and possibly RAM. The IB does perform faster than Lynnfield, but not enough to justify the combined expense of a CPU and motherboard.
 
I don't even think I'd upgrade for Haswell either, but that depends greatly on how is preforms in the real world, which we wont know until the enthusiasts get a hold of it. With that being said, just wait.

As one other has suggested, you'll notice a tangible difference in system responsiveness with an SSD upgrade.
 
I assume that you would need a new motherboard to accommodate that i7-3770? If so, then wait until Haswell to upgrade the CPU, mobo and possibly RAM. The IB does perform faster than Lynnfield, but not enough to justify the combined expense of a CPU and motherboard.

Yes, usually when I upgrade I just end up building a new system including case, PS, etc. Then I give my old system to one of my sons or daughter who are all gamers. It keeps their system fresh and avoids having to tear apart and rebuild, reinstall, etc.

Cost for parts I need to build a new system would be around $820:

COOLER MASTER CM Storm Scout 2 $100
ASRock Z77 OC Formula LGA 1155 Intel Z77 $240
CORSAIR HX Series HX850 $170
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1866 $80
Intel i7-3770k CPU $230 @ microcenter

So, some of you mentioned a SSD. I purchased a 180GB Intel 520 during black friday and am either going to install it in my current setup or put it into the new system. Since pretty much everyone suggested waiting I will probably do just that and put the Radeon HD 7970 and SSD in my existing system which is:

Cooler Master Storm Scout
Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield @ 3.715GHz
ASUS Maximus III Formula LGA 1156 Intel P55
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Corsair Professional Series HX750 PS

Thanks to everyone for posting your feedback, I appreciated reading all your suggestions.
 
I agree on waiting, otherwise I'd buy a 2011 and 3820. I'm the same way with builds, I like to get the extras, so it's never as simple as the price of the mb/CPU/ram.
 
Back
Top