Upgrade question

Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
44
first off please do not get mad if I have post in the ring spot I did see 2 designated spots that where labeled dead threads and understand if someone moves this. anyway now that that is out of the way.

I need your guys opinion on a upgrade maybe you guys would be able to help

I have bout $100 for this upgrade

my current specs are

CASE: Rocket fish full tower case HUGE

Processor: INTEL Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13 GHz 1066 MHz Socket 775 2MB

Memory: OCZ 4GB PC2-8500 (DDR2-1066)

Video card: EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16

Primary hard drive: Western Digital Raptor 74GB sata 10,000RPM Hard Drive w/16MB Buffer for my os

secondary hard drive: Western Digital 500 gig 7200 rpm for everything else

Power supply: CORSAIR 620W SLI/CrossFire Active PFC Modular Power Supply

and my what I call .... funny board

asrock 775Dual-VSTA <-- http://www.asrock.com/MB/overview.asp?Model=775Dual-VSTA
its cool look at it

im going to replace it with this:<____ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130179

I am a microcomputer tech that loves lan parties but does not over clock.
and I am running windows 7

hows that for a pick?
 
Why would you want to buy a new Mobo? It seems more like going sideways and slightly up instead of an upgrade.
 
Save up an additional $50-$100 for a motherboard/processor upgrade and go with the new AMD Athlon/Phenom II. For example:

$63 - AMD Athlon II X2 240 (free shipping)
$80 - Asus M4A78 Plus

The above combo only costs a bit more than the board you're currently considering, and with the AM2/AM3 board being able to handle Phenom II/Athlon II processors, you have a longer upgrading cycle. (In case you didn't know already, Intel's Socket 775 boards and processors have reached EOL status.)
 
The AsRock 775Dual-VSTA was a great stopgap board for people who wanted to still utilize their AGP and DDR1 while upgrading the CPU. There's no need to upgrade the AsRock until you get a new PCI-E vidcard, since its low PCI-E bandwidth was the major limiting aspect of that board, aside from OC'ing.

I assume you want to simply improve gaming performance?
What games do you play and at what resolution/settings?

I don't think you'll see much of an improvement in gaming performance going from a Core2 to a Phenom2 unless you also upgrade your vidcard. At this point, I think your next best upgrade would be a Core i5 and new vidcard. However, right now with your budget, your best upgrade would probably be a new HDD, like a single platter 500GB (Samsung F3 or 7200.12) for $55. Then you could at least move that to the new system when you do a full overhaul. And yes, it would be faster than your raptor. ;) Your budget isn't enough for a new vidcard, and the 9800GTX+ is similar to the GTS250, so your next vidcard should probably be at least an HD4890 or HD5850 or a next gen NVIDIA card (Q1'10).
 
Usually fps's call of duty modern warfare 2 fear quake 3 .. no joke and play my call of duty at max resolution though I have a 21 inch acre LCD monitor. kinda sad about the video card upgrade seems like I just did that last year ow wait I did .lol thanks for all the research into my gear though guys you know your stuff.!! I guess I will just have to wait until I get out of college and into a job for a over haul not munch for $$ right now:(
 
no biggie, we knew about that board and recommended it a lot in 2006 to users who didn't want to part with their AGP/DDR stuff just yet. ;)

yah, unfortunately, vidcards are the fastest depreciating components of a gaming system.

another option is to sell some of your parts and build a new system out of the money you get plus the hundred you have now. also, to save even more, you can buy used off of the fs/t forum. you could probably sell your board and cpu for more than $50, couple that with the hundred you have now, and you can get the parts tiraides mentioned. that should improve overall performance a bit and tide you over until you get more cash. if you want a new lga775 mobo, get a used one off the fs/t forum. ;)
 
fs/t forum? what is that for sale trade sorry brain lock I will not knock amd guys but I just have been around Intel processors forever. Do not want to risk trying something and not liking it.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top