Upgrade Question - Specs Inside - PerformanceTest 8.0

Chelica

2[H]4U
Hello all,

My Kingston SSD failed so I slapped on a temp. drive back into the system. I wanted to get some input regarding the best drive setup for my current system. I really believe my bottleneck is due to the drive, even Performance Test 8.0 confirms this, but then again I might be overlooking something. It's to a point where regular browsing is causing performance stuttering. Budget is going to be $200 for just a hard drive upgrade unless you see something else that's needing to be upgraded.

Current Specs:
Motherboard - ASRock Z68 Pro3-M (Passmark at 2229)
CPU - i7 2600K 3.4GHz (Passmark at 8676)
Memory - 2x4GB Corsair PC3-10666 (Passmark at 2234)
Video Card - Radeon HD 6870 (Passmark 3D at 2720)
Drive!!!!! - Hitachi 500GB HDP725050GLA360 ATA Device (Passmark at 527 LOL)

What do you guys think?

We normally recommend either Crucial M4 or Samsung 830 for their generally good performance and relatively low cost. (Actually, we recommend them because they don't use SandForce controllers. That, and many of us feel that OCZ SSDs are bad from a consistency and customer support standpoint.)

You can now find a 256GB version of either drive for under $200. The Samsung 830 is the better of the two, though the Crucial M4 is no slouch..

They're just as good, but comparatively more expensive.

Since many people use price as one of their build priorities, I tend to steer them towards either the M4 or the 830. (I haven't seen enough reviews or benchmarks on the new Samsung 840 to make a recommendation. But its current price makes it a bad deal compared to the older 830.)

We normally recommend either Crucial M4 or Samsung 830 for their generally good performance and relatively low cost. (Actually, we recommend them because they don't use SandForce controllers. That, and many of us feel that OCZ SSDs are bad from a consistency and customer support standpoint.)

You can now find a 256GB version of either drive for under $200. The Samsung 830 is the better of the two, though the Crucial M4 is no slouch..

Actually sandforce looks like recovered well since its BSOD issues, The new intel 335 has been having great reviews; http://techreport.com/review/23800/intel-335-series-ssd-reviewed/2; http://.com/our-reviews/intel-335-series-ssd-review-20nm-fab-brings-performance-and-value/

Back