• Buy Prebuilt for dedicated stream PC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Save up for a GTX 1080 Ti

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

manny1222

Gawd
Hi guys,
I'm looking to make some changes to my PC setup for better performance when streaming my races (I'm a sim racer, mostly iracing). I was wondering what you guys think makes the best sense for me out the options below.

My current system has a 4790K OCd to 4.6GHz and a GTX 980 Ti with a modest overclock (like 1425MHz or something like that). I currently run triple 1920x1200 monitors (6120x1200 bezel corrected resolution), a fourth 720P monitor for telemetry/OBS, and a 7inch USB monitor for my dashboard.

I can maintain over 60fps when racing, but when I start streaming it harder and sometimes it'll stay in the 40s and have a lot of stuttering depending on the track and number of cars. I'm using QuickSync to encode. I would like to get a GTX 1080Ti to be able to eventually power triple 1080P 144Hz GSync monitors, but I can't afford that at the moment. If I'm able to offload my 980Ti and some other parts I have laying around, maybe I'll be able to buy the 1080Ti. I'm also hoping for price drops with the launch of RX Vega.

In doing some youtube research, I saw that OBS just released a new plugin that allows a second PC on the same network to do the encoding and stream to twitch to free-up resources on your gaming PC.

Does it make any sense to buy once of the prebuilt Dell PCs (something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optipl...402462&hash=item2f0964f725:g:siYAAOSwQwBZkdAv) for about $200 to be a dedicated stream PC, or should I wait and keep trying to save up for GTX 1080Ti?
Personally, I'm not too fund of having too systems to power and keep track off, but I'm open to the idea. I'm not interested in a GTX 1080 or RX Vega 64 because I want the strongest card for the triple 144Hz monitors later like I mentioned and I don't want buyers remorse if I run into performance issues with those.

Thanks for your replies.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The best stream setups use a gaming machine and a dedicated streaming machine. You would need a capture card like:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRF732W/ref=psdc_6795230011_t2_B014MQIVPS

Setup details:
https://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/1988680-broadcasting-with-two-computers

It won't really help on a single setup machine. Not sure if a 1080Ti would completely clear up the stuttering and keep your fps over 60 as some of the issue is load on your cpu.
That prebuilt is ok but low ram, horrible HDD. I would build a super budget Ryzen R3 build with some used parts.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the reply. I have the original AverMedia Gamer Live https://www.amazon.com/AVerMedia-Streaming-Definition-Hardware-C985/dp/B007UXJ6LE (somewhere in my basement) and i think i had issues with it previously because my monitor resolution is 1920x1200 not 1920x1080. Thats why i am happy about this over the LAN plugin. I can try it again.

I was looking at the prebuilt because of the small footprint. I should be able to afix it to my 8020 chassis somewhere inconspicuous and not need another table to mount it on. Also i dont need a gpu (igpu should be just fine, right?). In terms of its parts, i should be able to add another 4gb stick or ram for cheap and switch to a cheap 60gb ssd. Dont think i need more since its really only windows and OBS that will be installed.
As much as i like building PCs, i dont know i can spec out a Ryzen3 system for the budget I'm intending and I'm guessing the hyperthreading performance of the 3770 will beat out a Ryzen3 anyway.

Also, if i got a 1080Ti, and later got a 6 core Coffee Lake when its released, would that clear up the cpu related load issues you mentioned?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hard to say with triple monitors running sims considering how well it runs now I would think the performance boost would be enough to run pretty well. When you go to 144hz though no telling.
Yeah the pre-built will come out cheaper but no telling how long it would last.

How strong of an nvidia card do you need to run NVENC? Also how much of the work really gets offloaded from the cpu to the gpu?
Just wondering because i have a gtx 650ti laying around here somewhere i could use only for obs encoding and hopefully my gtx 980ti can concentrate only on the games.

Any updates on this OP manny1222 ?

Hi, I'm actually in the middle of tuning stuff for twitch and testing. While a second system would've probably been the best performer, I still like having everything on one machine and not dealing with two machines (two mice, keyboards.... unless I pay for synergy). Besides its easier for me to upgrade my rig under the radar, than have to explain to my wife why i need a second PC. Besides I'm not a big time (or full time) streamer as i currently only have 8 followers on twitch.
After saving a bunch, i upgraded to a 1080Ti, then switched my system to an 8700K based build. I was also able to get three 144hz monitors.
So this is what I'm testing right now. 8700K @ 4.8GHz, 1080Ti @ 2000MHz core and 12000 MHz memory. Streaming using OBS, X264 very fast preset, 2500 buffer size. I am able to maintain 120hz for iracing (what i play primarily) while streaming with an nvidia gsync surround resolution of 7800x1440 (bezel corrected). The nvidia control panel wont ler me over 120hz, but I'm happy with it.
Thanks for the inquiry.

How do you stream a 3 monitor setup?
Do you just stream your center monitor?
Can you PM or post your twitch ID?

I'd love to find a 40-42" with specs like yours... but I don't want to pay for it!

Product Features

1 ms response time in fast mode, 3 ms response time in normal mode
Lets you play games and watch TV or movies with minimized streaking and blurring. NVIDIA G-SYNC and a 144Hz refresh rate help ensure sharp, undistorted moving images.

27" LED screen
Offers crisp, vivid image clarity. Tilt, swivel, pivot and height adjustment features let you find a comfortable gaming position.

1000:1 typical contrast ratio
Delivers bright whites and deep blacks.

350 cd/m² brightness
Enables easy viewing in a variety of lighting situations.

2560 x 1440 maximum resolution
Provides detailed, precise image quality.

PS: This is an interesting product to me... I'd like to move into an RV eventually & I'm contemplating my race setup.
Samsung CHG9 Series C49HG90DMN 49" HDR LED Curved FHD FreeSync Monitor Multi C49HG90 - Best Buy
Samsung CHG9 Series 49" LED Curved FreeSync - YouTube

Last edited:
Sorry for late reply. I stream center monitor or something close to it.
I only stream iracing.
That Samsung is awesome.

How do you stream a 3 monitor setup?
Do you just stream your center monitor?
Can you PM or post your twitch ID?

I'd love to find a 40-42" with specs like yours... but I don't want to pay for it!

Product Features

1 ms response time in fast mode, 3 ms response time in normal mode
Lets you play games and watch TV or movies with minimized streaking and blurring. NVIDIA G-SYNC and a 144Hz refresh rate help ensure sharp, undistorted moving images.

27" LED screen
Offers crisp, vivid image clarity. Tilt, swivel, pivot and height adjustment features let you find a comfortable gaming position.

1000:1 typical contrast ratio
Delivers bright whites and deep blacks.

350 cd/m² brightness
Enables easy viewing in a variety of lighting situations.

2560 x 1440 maximum resolution
Provides detailed, precise image quality.

PS: This is an interesting product to me... I'd like to move into an RV eventually & I'm contemplating my race setup.
Samsung CHG9 Series C49HG90DMN 49" HDR LED Curved FHD FreeSync Monitor Multi C49HG90 - Best Buy
Samsung CHG9 Series 49" LED Curved FreeSync - YouTube

If you're planning an RV setup, I'd highly recommend a gaming laptop (with gsync if you want to do other gaming) and VR headset. The support in iRacing is amazing and once you try it it's difficult to go back to monitors. It'd also take up almost no space compared to a monitor based setup. I'm also considering a portable setup as I camp 10-12 times per year and some of the iRacing endurance races that I want to run occur while I'm going to be out camping, so I think a gaming laptop coupled with a Windows MR setup (no sensors) would be best for that. Only issue is the actual cockpit, I have a home built setup that works great but there won't be anywhere I can put fit it in the airstream. I may try something like this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...ofHe37TEAAy03l7o6WRoCyYMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Back