• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrade Question: EF, Quad Display and More

r00k

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Aug 24, 2004
Messages
2,696
Hey everyone, I've been a long time fan of multiple displays, but lately I'm becoming obsessed with the productivity gains too. Currently my personal rig sits at my office, powering 4 displays, but I am hoping to add display #5. This could be a fairly long story, but i'd rather get down to business.

My current setup is an Intel Core 2 Quad @ 2.4Ghz, 8GB of Ram, and an ASUS P5E VM-HDMI motherboard (1pcie x1, 2pci, 1pcie x16). It has an 8800GTS 512 and a Radeon HD2400. This totals 3xDVI and 1VGA. I have 2x22" monitors @ 1680x1050, 1x46" @1920x1080 and a projector @ 1280x1024 for presentations / movies.

I was looking at upgrading my 8800 to something with 4 display ports and adding a 3rd 22" monitor. I don't game too much at all anymore but I'd like to at least keep current performance.

I watched Kyle's review again, and he says that the HDMI port is shared with one DVI port. Is this still the case? Can you really only use 3 of the 4 ports at one time, or is that only while gaming with EF?

I am currently looking at the ATI 5770 as card of choice. Would this perform as well or better than an 8800GTS 512?
 
The 5770 sounds like a good choice for your purposes. They may vary with video outputs, most will have 2 DVI and 1 HDMI I think.

It will perform better than the 8800 GTS 512. Roughly 50% better, I've read the benchmarks (mostly gaming) and that prob will apply here too.
 
Yes, the Radeon 5770 would only support 3 monitors at a time. The 4th port also won't work in desktop mode or gaming mode as its 'shared' between the HDMI/DVI. You could crossfire them for more screens if you wanted though.

There is suppose to be cards coming out later this year, maybe as early as a month or two and a lot of people are suspecting it will be when ATI 'refreshes' the 58xx series that'll be a 6 display port output card. It'll be a bit of a higher end card but you'd be able to run 6 monitors which should be more than enough from your descrption.
 
Thanks for the help. Hmmm, i wonder how two mid level crossfire cards would work overall. And is EyeFinity supported with Crossfire enabled?
 
Back
Top