Upgrade plan to new iPhone 3GS?

vage

2[H]4U
So I wasn't around the Apple community when the iPhone 3G came out, but were there options for people that bought the original iPhone to trade up to the 3G at a lower cost? I really am going to want the newest iPhone when it comes out, but I'm not going to pay another $200 for it while I still have my iPhone. I am really hoping that there is some kind of trade-up program.

I'm a little curious about this, too.
I like the added speed, but I can't justify paying full price for a little extra speed and a few new features that seem more like software upgrades.
I'd love a trade-in, though.

The option was if they had bought the original iPhone 1 week before the 3G announcement. They could trade it in for a 3G.

I don't think it's worth upgrading. 3.0 will bring all the features of the new 3GS except for the camera and the speed........but it will be free.

Don't upgrade, unless you want to change color.

I currently have a 3G and for the most happy with it (especially after OS 3.0 drops). But if they offer some discount to upgrade to the 3GS (even $199), I would certainly do it.

Otherwise, no.

The trade in is that you get the discounted rate if your already on an iPhone plan plain and simple (feel privileged).

I'm doing it. I use mine constantly and the slower cpu and battery life kill me.

From the Apple store:
"For non-qualified customers, including existing AT&T customers who want to upgrade from another phone or replace an iPhone 3G, the price with a new two-year agreement is $499 (8GB), $599 (16GB), or $699 (32GB)."

Part of disclaimer 1 at http://www.apple.com/iphone/buy/

From the Apple store:
"For non-qualified customers, including existing AT&T customers who want to upgrade from another phone or replace an iPhone 3G, the price with a new two-year agreement is $499 (8GB), $599 (16GB), or $699 (32GB)."

Part of disclaimer 1 at http://www.apple.com/iphone/buy/

How is that even possible? Its cheaper to start a new plan and buy the phone than it is to trade in, start a new plan and buy the phone?

Placed my order today for the 32gig black. Upgrading from a 1st gen iPhone. Total was 327.41 w/ tax (WA state here). Data plan is $30, don't recall if this is more or less than what I currently pay. Text messages are extra: 0/0 (.20/message), 200/$5, unlimited/$20, don't recall the intermediary. Did not change my voice plan.

When I got the 3G, I had been with AT&T for 4 years and they charged me the whole "new contract" price. It was $400'ish because I'd extended my contract by buying a new phone 2 years earlier. Since the 3G has only been out a year and I think the contracts are for 2 years, I guess that's the dilemma 3G owners will face. Someone switching from another carrier or someone with an expired contract will pay less :p

How is that even possible? Its cheaper to start a new plan and buy the phone than it is to trade in, start a new plan and buy the phone?

Saw this on Engadget:

You'll have to pay a bit more if you're mid-contract, though -- $299 for the 3G and $399/$499 for the 3G S.

What's it going to cost for original owners to upgrade?

I got an original iPhone (and legit AT&T contract) in February of 2008. Do I have to be eligible for a phone upgrade plan, even though I bought my iPhone before AT&T started subsidizing? Will we be able to get the 32GB for $299?

What about those of us who still are on the 1st gen iPhones? I'm about 17 months into my contract. Do I pay 199 or 299 (for a 16gb)?

Edit: whoops, was typing out my response, didn't see the one above me. :p
I'm in the same boat as him, got mine in feb '08.

I got the 3G on release day. Just checked on apple.com, right now I'd be 399/499 for a 3GS, but it says 7/12/09 I will qualify for 199/299. So I wait a month extra..not too bad.

Read my post above.

Are you on a regular service plan?

My contract was originally on my own account with AT&T, but in July of last year, my dad got a family plan, and we moved all our iPhones line onto it. Hope that didn't reset my contract or anything, I know phone companies love to pull BS like that. :(

Are you on a regular service plan?

My contract was originally on my own account with AT&T, but in July of last year, my dad got a family plan, and we moved all our iPhones line onto it. Hope that didn't reset my contract or anything, I know phone companies love to pull BS like that. :(

You're introducing more variables that could certainly complicated matters as you suggest. I'm still on my original contract from the 1st gen iPhone, approximately 2 year ago. It's a non-family plan as my business pays for it.

You can go through the order process on Apple's site without placing the order and it will tell you what you qualify for.

I got the 3G on release day. Just checked on apple.com, right now I'd be 399/499 for a 3GS, but it says 7/12/09 I will qualify for 199/299. So I wait a month extra..not too bad.

I got the 3G on release day too, and their eligibility just told me I can get a standard upgrade on 03/12/2010.

Um, I got mine on release day and it says 12/12/09 for me :(

I'm eligible apparently in May 2010 looks like. I was pretty set on getting the new iPhone but the announcements were pretty lackluster. I'm still on the fence but I really want a new phone. :(

Yeah, I got mine a week after launch and I can't upgrade until March of 2010.
Not that big of deal I suppose. By then I'm sure a really major update will only be a couple months off.

Oh blaaaaah, April 23, 2010.

I'm going to see if I can get around this somehow. Possibly involving a hammer. :D

lol, a coworker is canceling his plan and just getting a new one. He has about 10 months left and there is a $10 a month fee to cancel his plan, cheaper then paying $200 more to add 2 more years and get the new iPhone.

So when exactly is iPhone 3.0 OS coming out for us 3G users?

I checked iTunes this afternoon and it says my 2.2.1 is up to date.

Of course I'll probably wait to update until the Pwnage tool is fully updated and stable before I go to 3.0.

Of course I'll probably wait to update until the Pwnage tool is fully updated and stable before I go to 3.0.

June 17th. It's free.

June 19th

*EDIT* or 17th ^^^

lol, a coworker is canceling his plan and just getting a new one. He has about 10 months left and there is a $10 a month fee to cancel his plan, cheaper then paying $200 more to add 2 more years and get the new iPhone.

There's a maximum amount they're allowed to charge you for canceling, which is $175, so it would be cheaper for anyone to cancel and start a new contract, regardless of how far they are into their 2 years. Alternatively, if you can catch them changing a fee on your bill -- such as text messaging -- you can get out for free, though it's usually a hassle.

I heard this through the grapevine, but does AT&T have a stipulation on canceling your account that you cannot be considered a new account for 90 days after the cancellation?

I heard this through the grapevine, but does AT&T have a stipulation on canceling your account that you cannot be considered a new account for 90 days after the cancellation?

I just read that somewhere this morning. I can't recall where though, may have been Yahoo news.

LOL welcome to the cellphone business. This is how they make money. After everyone pays 500 bucks to upgrade to the 3GS, next year they'll have some new iphone out thats a little better and the cycle starts over again...

Your in much better shape if your signing a new 2 year contract than if your an existing customer..

Last edited:
LOL welcome to the cellphone business. This is how they make money. After everyone pays 500 bucks to upgrade to the 3GS, next year they'll have some new iphone out thats a little better and the cycle starts over again...

That and/or they'll drop the 3GS price down to 50% to scoop up the people that were waiting for a price drop. That's just how it is. :eek:

Yeah they'll definetly do that at some point but there will be a ton of people that wont wait. And by the time they do that they'll be launching something new so people will just want to wait for the new one.

Its funny I was reading an article in the wall street journal this morning and they were talking about it as if you could simple walk in the store and buy it at the 2-year contract price... like the "new 3GS will run at $199 and $299"... simply not even mentioning that you have to sign a new 2-year contract to get it at that price. I was like WTF?

Back