Upgrade path...

[L]imey

[H]ard|Gawd
Haven't been paying attention to hardware the last several months. Looking for opinions on the following options:

Currently have a 3770 and a 1050ti. I just moved the setup into a case large enough to upgrade the gpu. I also want an adaptive sync monitor.

Do I spend my whole 400-500 budget on a 1080p gsync monitor and continue to run it with the 1050ti...

Or do I buy a 200ish dollar free sync monitor and spend the rest on an AMD gpu? What would I get from AMD that would be an upgrade over my 1050? Haven't followed AMD in a very long time.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Happy holidays!

if you want to keep that budget go with Freesync 1080P panel + RX 580.. you will have an amazing experience and a exponential upgrade jump from that GTX 1050Ti and you will still be around 450$ - 500$ budget..

The next question would be, do you have funds available next year for the GPU upgrade if you buy the monitor now? Nvidia should have new cards next year so prob better doing the monitor first rather than getting a new GPU from same generation.

honestly freesync/g-sync is overfluous. that is what occurs tearing when the gfx/cpu delivers more fps then what the monitor can handle. go for refresh rate, g-sync/freesync is overrated. i would never make a pick based on g-sync/freesync anyway. to me on my 165hz monitor i cant tell the difference really... with g-sunc on or of. but what i can see really easy and feel in response to input is fps. basically how many frames im able to render and screen keep up with. it do seem like for me at 70-80+ frames i cant feel or see any difference anymore.

Used to be my 4k Samsung TV, but it's going into my office now, so I don't have a monitor to speak of.

I have to disagree with demon, I think adaptive sync is the second best innovation behind ssds in recent years.

honestly freesync/g-sync is overfluous. that is what occurs tearing when the gfx/cpu delivers more fps then what the monitor can handle. go for refresh rate, g-sync/freesync is overrated. i would never make a pick based on g-sync/freesync anyway. to me on my 165hz monitor i cant tell the difference really... with g-sunc on or of. but what i can see really easy and feel in response to input is fps. basically how many frames im able to render and screen keep up with. it do seem like for me at 70-80+ frames i cant feel or see any difference anymore.

you have probably never used properly Gsync or Freesync technology, the difference it's quite drastic in Adaptive-sync panel versus non-adaptive-sync panels, Im a 120hz users since years, now a 144hz user and the difference between 144hz regular panel and 144hz Gsync it's amazing specially if you can sustain 100hz+ fixed on most heavy games, the good things about adaptive sync its not only to remove tearing, it reduces notably the input lag and drops in FPS just doesn't feel *weird*.. if you are only playing competitive gaming at 165hz+ where the lowest input lag its needed then yes you may have a point, however in vast majority of games Gsync/Freesync when works it do wonders.

For sure, get a 27" 1080P FreeSync monitor and the RX 580 for under $500 all-in. I can't imagine getting much better at that price.

G-Sync monitors are nice, but way over-priced, and, even if you splurged, the 1050 Ti can't do it justice.

For sure, get a 27" 1080P FreeSync monitor and the RX 580 for under $500 all-in. I can't imagine getting much better at that price.

G-Sync monitors are nice, but way over-priced, and, even if you splurged, the 1050 Ti can't do it justice.

Got an msi curved 27 inch freesync for 220 and a rx 580 for 230... Not bad for 450 bucks. Pumped to try it out later this week. Thanks cyber Monday.

Got an msi curved 27 inch freesync for 220 and a rx 580 for 230... Not bad for 450 bucks. Pumped to try it out later this week. Thanks cyber Monday.
Wow, I really love it when people take my advice (not even 1 hour later!). Hope you have a good time.

Back