Upgrade Path: GPU or CPU?

Apallohadas

2[H]4U
I'm trying to make a decision on what path to take for my next upgrade.

I primarily use the machine for gaming, and occasionally webwork.

Athlon64 754s 3000 (not OCed)
1 gig Generic Memory
ASUS K8V-X mobo
ATi Radeon 9800Pro 128meg (R350)
MaxtorUltra 16 250gig HDs (3)
Sony 710A DVD Drive

Basically, I'm trying to decide wether I should upgrade the processor to a 3700 (cost around 329 and I can use the same board) or upgrade the Video card to a 6600GT (around 200).

With either, I can sell the old part on Craigslist or Ebay to recoup some money to save for the latter upgrade to the latter part.

BUT, which would *you* do first? (One day, I'll post the machine and workstation, I SWEAR!)

if you can afford a $329 cpu, you can't spend a tad more and get a 6800gt?
i'd do that and oc the 3000+ you have now to make a somewhat balanced system (just turn up visual detail all the way :D)

I'd actually go with a new CPU. The 6600GT is faster than the 9800Pro, but not by a huge margin. I would upgrade the CPU.

Or like the last post said, overclock and buy the video card. Personally I'd say save that cash up for a 6800GT though. THAT would be a big jump over your 9800Pro.

I wouldnt buy a new s754 and I dont think you will see a big enough difference gfx wise for the money. I would wait for nextgen gfx and ethier buy an agp card or do a complete upgrade then. While you wait overclock your gfx and cpu.

You'll notice a much bigger increase in game performance from a 6800gt, just overclock that 3000+ to 2.2GHz and have a kickass gaming experience.

If you can afford it, I'd move all the way to a 6800GT. The 6600GT isn't a big enough jump over the 9800Pro to bother buying it, and if you get the 3700+ your CPU will, in games, be hamstrung by your videocard.

Back