• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrade path for P4 2.4 (533fsb) CPU?

Musulsa

n00b
Joined
Oct 15, 2004
Messages
28
I have a Shuttle SB51G with a P4 2.4 (533fsb). The motherboard only supports socket 478 @ 400/533 fsb. What is the fastest CPU I can get for this thing and where can I buy it?

I've looked all over the place, and I can find INFO about a P4 3ghz/533 but I can't find any reputable place that still sells these things (Newegg, Outpust, Tigerdirect, Ajump). The fastest thing I can find for sale is a P4 2.8a, and I don't even think the performance jump would even justify the ~$170 price.

Shuttle SB51G
P4 2.4 (533) (don't know if it is a, b, c, etc)
1gb Corsair XMS-LL 2700
MSI 6600GT (AGP)
Audigy2
WD 250gb HD w/ 8mb cache

I know already that this system has basically hit the wall at the end of its upgrade path. I'm just not in a place where I can afford to buy a new case, mainboard, pci-e video card, ram, and 800fsb processor.

The only thing I can see in that list to upgrade (other than starting over of course) is the CPU.

I appreciate any help you guys can give me on this.

-=-=-=-edit-=-=-=-=-
On a side note, is it even WORTH spending $250-300 to go from 2.4ghz to 3.06ghz? Not sure about the performance bump. It's just that I feel pretty CPU limited these days though. I just spent $200 to move up from a Geforce4 Ti4800 to a 6600GT and didn't get the boost I was hoping for in HL2, SCCT: Demo, Doom3.

3dmarks05 score = 3280
 
You could go with a 3.06. They have HT which is nice. It is getting hard to find them FS any more new, but the FS/FT sections of forums still have some floating around for ~$150. That's the CPU I would reccomend.

Your other option is to find a mobile celeron. Before you freak out and say celerons suck, mobile celerons have 256k cache and I think their cache associativity is higher than desktop celerons. I just bought a 2.0 that will run at 3.2GHz all day long and benchmarks only a little bit slower than a P4 at the same speed (I had a 3.06 @ 3.2 and got about 6400 3dmark03; the OCed mobile celeron got about 6100). For the ~$100 price difference, I think it is worth it.
 
If the chipset supports hyperthreading (845GE should), you can install a P4 3.06GHz. For $260, it's not really worth it. microcenter had some last month for $199, but they seem to be gone now.

That XPC doesn't support Prescott core CPUs, so the next highest CPU you can install is the 2.8GHz/533MHz FSB/512KB L2 Northwood ($170 shipped): http://www.chiefvalue.com/app/produ...148&ATT=Microprocessors PC&CMP=OTC-pr1c3watch

chiefvalue is newegg's alter ego.
 
If you can find a deal on a 3.06GHz Pentium 4 than it's a good deal. Retail though, it's really not going to be worthwhile. For what it costs you'd be well on your way to something better.
 
Thanks to all replies!

I guess I'll keep my eyes out for perhaps a used or marked down 3.06. Thanks again all.
 
Back
Top