Upgrade path for a [H]orde folder.

thesecond

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys, looking to pick some brains here.

Short of it: Ivy is coming out, I'm tempted to upgrade.

Current system in sig. I see 2 upgrade paths, and I'm curious which one will net me the best gains in both gaming and folding.

It will cost virtually the same to swap my mobo and processor for IVB as it will to swap my processor for a used 6 core socket 1366. Power consumption and heat don't worry me, and won't factor into this decision.

1. Upgrade to 6 cores on current platform (gulftown/westmere). This means either a 980x, 990x, And speaking of westmere, which one should i be looking at to get at LEAST 3.8ghz?

or

2. complete platform change to a 3770k, and OC it as far as it will go.

So which one do you think will get me better gains in folding (I'm around 15-18k ppd on a good day these days). An overclocked to crap 4 core Ivy? Or an overclocked to crap 6 core gulftown/westmere? I figure both upgrade paths will offer more performance for my SLI, so the defining factor is the folding potential.

Change system, will be better from the gaming perspective, the 2 extra cores will not net you as much as it would have previously (16 threads needed for big adv, and big adv is all but nonexistent in windows anyhow)

Cool.

What do you think I can expect ppd-wise from going the IVB path? Any significant improvement over 18k?

depends on clock, OS, unit, about on par with what people are getting with SB setups from what limited amount ive seen IB should perform similar in folding.

You'll gain more going to a 6 core if PPD is your goal. If minimal FPS gains in games are your goal then a IVB will be the way to go without much increase in PPD. Folding loves more cores.

If you need some numbers, my 980x is clocked at 4.4 ghz and gets an average of 40 - 42k ppd folding SMP work units. I have Windows 7 installed with a Linux VM doing the folding.

Microcenter just dropped the 2600k to $199 in store....

Just say'n

You'll gain more going to a 6 core if PPD is your goal. If minimal FPS gains in games are your goal then a IVB will be the way to go without much increase in PPD. Folding loves more cores.

i figure either upgrade will do the same for me in gaming, so yeah, ppd is my goal.

If you need some numbers, my 980x is clocked at 4.4 ghz and gets an average of 40 - 42k ppd folding SMP work units. I have Windows 7 installed with a Linux VM doing the folding.

Damn. Thats nuts. Thats more than double what I'm getting doing SMP in windows.

What do you guys think would be better? a 980x/990x clocked to ~4.0 or a 5640 or another hexa core xeon clocked up to 3.8-4.0
My issue with the xeons is finding one with a multiplier appropriate to get it as high as 4.0

You can find some decent deals on used 980/990 these days. I'd buy one of those over a Xeon hex.

want to note, my 2600k @ 4.4Ghz pulls ~36k ppd in linux (similar environment to tj....), so the 2 cores(4 threads) does not make as big of a difference in the past. Just going to throw that out there.

Back