memnoch_thedevil
Gawd
- Joined
- Jun 3, 2008
- Messages
- 943
Hi all, I recently built a AMD system, so that my son could have a computer in his room to watch movies and play games on. Well, I decided to sell off most of my E8500 setup, and make the jump up to either an AM3 setup or an i7 setup.
At first it was a no brainer, i7, especially with the thought of getting in on the Big Deal, with Intel's program, but that looks like it will probably be missed this time around.
Any way, forgoing cost, meaning for what I have spec'd out, an AMD Phenom II X4 955 and a Core i7 setup will roughly be about the same price, and close enough to not really matter.
So after realizing that, I figured once again i7 was the way to go. Then I started noticing the articles on i5...and being a new chip socket, which means another board, and most likely AMD's next offerings will be drop and go, I am starting to wonder if Phenom II should be the path I take this time around.
Another question about that would be if I did go Phenom II any reason to get a 955 over a 940 BE, (mainly because I am fairly sure both would be sufficient enough to hold me off to the next round of chips) if they essentially clock the same, I could save the coin, and possibly drop in another 4890 for xfire, with the recent price drops on those cards.
I had planned on ordering parts next week, and begin building again, but now I am a lot more uncertain as to which way I should go. As for holding onto the cash, and waiting until i5 and P55 boards, well let's just say it probably safe to assume that it would be gone by the time the newer stuff came out, and I wouldn't be able to build at all lol...Unless it will be here before the middle of next month.
Thanks for thoughts and info!
At first it was a no brainer, i7, especially with the thought of getting in on the Big Deal, with Intel's program, but that looks like it will probably be missed this time around.
Any way, forgoing cost, meaning for what I have spec'd out, an AMD Phenom II X4 955 and a Core i7 setup will roughly be about the same price, and close enough to not really matter.
So after realizing that, I figured once again i7 was the way to go. Then I started noticing the articles on i5...and being a new chip socket, which means another board, and most likely AMD's next offerings will be drop and go, I am starting to wonder if Phenom II should be the path I take this time around.
Another question about that would be if I did go Phenom II any reason to get a 955 over a 940 BE, (mainly because I am fairly sure both would be sufficient enough to hold me off to the next round of chips) if they essentially clock the same, I could save the coin, and possibly drop in another 4890 for xfire, with the recent price drops on those cards.
I had planned on ordering parts next week, and begin building again, but now I am a lot more uncertain as to which way I should go. As for holding onto the cash, and waiting until i5 and P55 boards, well let's just say it probably safe to assume that it would be gone by the time the newer stuff came out, and I wouldn't be able to build at all lol...Unless it will be here before the middle of next month.
Thanks for thoughts and info!