Upgrade path (1 year plan) / Opinions welcome

Badger_sly

[H]ard|Gawd
Current system 1.6a @ 2.2 / 500 fsb, but the upgrade bug has bitten me , making me look ahead to D3 and EQ2 following that. Yet I feel the new technologies of pci-e/ddr2/etc. haven't proven themselves yet nor reached their second revisions, so I'm likely to go with an intermediate upgrate of a CPU and motherboard, for maybe the next year. My current memory (OCZ pc3200) and video (BFG 5900nu @ 5950) can carry over with my upgrade.

Two possible solutions I'm looking at(open to suggestions yet):

(As reviewed at [H])

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjAzLDQ=
CPU: P4 2.4A Prescott $124 @ Newegg
Mobo: MSI PT880 $62 @ Newegg
The [H] was able to easily get to 3.3 Ghz OC with stock air cooling on that setup, with the bus around 730. The best thing about this setup of course is the performance/cost ratio.............. $186 shipped from Newegg.

Other idea, but costs a bit more:

CPU: P4 2.8C $179 @ Newegg
Mobo: Abit IS7-E $83 @ Newegg
which totals $262

And I'm also looking at the Epox 4PDA3I board at $81 as a combination some how. I currently have an Epox board and it has been flawless, so they interest me.

Of course I'm still looking / contemplating, but want to order maybe this week.

Please let me know what some of your comments, suggestions, ideas may be.

if you get a p4 board with an intel chipset get the 875 chipset. also look into a lga775 system. that will leave you plenty of upgrades

I'm trying to stay in a range of $200-$300, since this will be a temp upgrade. Now I'm also looking at the MSI NEO2 PFISR motherboard, along with the MSI pt880, Epox, and Abit.

More suggestions / ideas welcome.

you could try amd for a temp upgrade. they have pretty fast chips that are pretty cheap and i don't think it'll run as hot as the prescott, if heat is a concern for you

Don't get a 875 chipset like #2 said, it's a waste of money... just get a 865 that has the PAT features in it.. and even if you get a motherboard that doesn't have the i875's PAT in the bios you can usually enable the hidden features using modbin6. My shuttle sb62g2 doesn't support PAT but it can be easily enabled.. so I'd say 875 is a waste.

You might wanna look into getting a refurb motherboard from newegg.. I picked up a 865 abit motherboard with PAT for about $36 about 6 months ago.. their refurbs are usually like new.

For the CPU i'd say get the 2.8C since it will run a lot cooler

Back