Upgrade or Save?

KevC

Supreme [H]ardness
Hello.

My computer is pretty fast but getting slightly long in the tooth. I don't have enough cash to buy a new system (I'd love a conroe system but I'd have to buy everything again.)

I'm curious if I should spend ~$250 to upgrade my current system (what I'd do is make my 1GB of RAM into 3 or 4GB) or save that cash for a new one down the line.

The number one thing I do is Photoshop. Photoshop is very CPU intensive and a faster CPU would be great, but I also work with large TIFFs and memory is great also. If I upgrade, I'd want to get 2GB or more of memory anyway.... and that will be wayyy down the line.

So what are your thoughts? Dump some money into the system now or wait it out? (I'd have to buy a new video card, cpu, motherboard etc etc...wahhh)

i'd wait, it sounds like you're still running an AGP based graphics system. DDR2 is basically the standard now and actually would cost less to get than DDR. Photoshop is actually very memory intensive as well, just fyi, having more, and faster memory will reduce hard drive access, and speed up process times.

You'd be better off saving 600-800 bucks or so, getting a C2d e6300, a cheap p965 mobo, mid range pci-e graphics card, and 2 gigs of pc800 memory.

Agreed with Denki, I'd wait and save up. If you've got the slots free, maybe spend $100 to add another 1GB of RAM - 2GB with PS makes a definite improvement, at least it did on my machine.

I actually "upgraded" my camera to a 4.1MP one from a 6MP so I'm happy with my smaller RAW sizes. However, I also uprez them (and it handles uprezzing quite well) so I'll probably be dealing with 100MB images again.

Another issue is, if I did save up ~$1000 (canuck monopoloy money) it'd probably go towards a tripod, new body or lens. Camera equipment has taken massive presidence over computer, (I have a nice display, that's what's most important for now).

I may add another gig or so... moving up from 1GB to 2 or 3 should make a big difference, no? It just feels like a "waste" since it wont be much use when I upgrade....

I don't game much at all anymore so video card isn't nearly as important for me.

KevC said:
I may add another gig or so... moving up from 1GB to 2 or 3 should make a big difference, no? It just feels like a "waste" since it wont be much use when I upgrade....

Think of it this way, the $100 or so you'll spend for another 1GB will pay for itself in increased productivity. $100 is not that much for the performance increase you'll get. It's not massive but it's noticeable. Well, at least it was to me. Then again if you're fine with what you have, better to put the cash towards more memory cards, lenses, tripod, etc.

Ok I've decided I'll buy an extra 2GB. Then I'll backup my stuff and overclock once again. (I'm back to 1.8GHz stock, will push her back to 2.2-2.3ghz). That should be a nice "upgrade" for a while.

Thanks!

Back