Weaksauce
P4 3.0 HT 512k socket 478
Abit ic7-g
6600GT

BF2 isn't running that great anymore.. should i

-spend 250 bucks on a 3.4/1mb
-spend 200 bucks on a new video card

OR

Ditch my system and spend that $500 plus the $300 on some AM2 Asus setup?

I purchased a 300gb 16mb maxtor thinking I would go with a new system, but I'm getting lazy and wondering if an upgrade would be a better option. I know straying away from my IC7-G would open doors for dual video SLI cards.

I guess what I don't understand is why a socket 478 3.4 cpu is still 250 dollars when getting rid of this old technology for the new stuff seems like the obvious choice.

THANKS!

Kyle

You say that BF2 is not running good ANYMORE......does that mean that at one point it did run good? If so, you may want to just clean your system.

If you can wait a week or two, AMD is cutting their processor prices in HALF. That should give you some better options for upgrading.

If you save up some more, you can probably have a very decent conroe build, which I think would be even better.

MuFaSa said:
If you can wait a week or two, AMD is cutting their processor prices in HALF. That should give you some better options for upgrading.

If you save up some more, you can probably have a very decent conroe build, which I think would be even better.

I have all the time in the world, and a laptop for backup. That's great info.

BF2 was running pretty good, my 80gig is full and I really need a fresh xp re-install (it's been years).. one or two maps are getting me down to 20-30fps in places. I think one of the recent patches killed me. I'm running 512mb kingston hyperX and 1gig corsair value ram the 433mhz stuff

i just ordered a new psu, XFX 7800 GTX, Venice 3500+ , and asus A8N5X for 470 shipped. I have 60 dollars in mail in rebates coming my way also. A big upgrade for me and I was in a similar boat as you. You'd probably be looking in the same price range, if you get the x2 add a minimum of 70 or so dollars to that. Your call

Yeah, I guess I will wait 2 weeks to start ordering stuff and see what happens price wise. I've had my computer like this (minus 6600gt) over 3 years now, lol. I do have a 500w power supply with modular cables already though.

What is the conroe? something new coming out? I have a hard time keeping up.

I was looking at the ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe AM2 board, running dual sli, maybe just getting a cheaper processor that I can upgrade at a later date.. I really just like the sound of a 2000mhz bus, I think that's the only reason I want to replace my machine, lol. I wish somebody would assemble it for me though, this machine here took me 4 months after returning 3 mobo's to abit DOA (or shortly there after) =\

I would upgrade your system, but wait a bit and see how the conroe performs it may be worth getting if the price is right. Many here say it will be worth it

hiroler said:
Yeah, I guess I will wait 2 weeks to start ordering stuff and see what happens price wise. I've had my computer like this (minus 6600gt) over 3 years now, lol. I do have a 500w power supply with modular cables already though.
my advice to u is spend those 2 weeks looking for good deals on a GFX card. check out the hot deals forum and FS/FT . go for a used XFX card of a used card that hasn't been registered, that was you can still have a warranty on it and save lots. With that amount of time im sure u can find a card that suits u

hmm ok.. im reading up on the conroe.. sounds interesting. I guess I just need to get my head back into pc hardware, i'm all over the place.

my concern with getting another AGP card is that they seem to be heading out the door to pci-e and sli.. but then again you guys know much more than i do.. i paid 130 for this 6600gt, if i sell my parts off and have the upgradability of just sliding in an additional card that seems better to me then having another 200 dollar AGP card to get rid of in 6 months .. maybe not though..

Back