• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrade or not

Thegiven36

n00b
Joined
May 23, 2013
Messages
19
Hello I have a Evga 660 FTW signature 2 3gb 192-bit GDDR5
my card has these specs
1072 core clock
1137 boost clock
960 cuda cores
6008 memory clock
3gb memory size
192-bit memory interface
It has the dual fan cooling system
One 6 pin power connection
my question is would it be a good up grade to the 760 superclocked acx cooling
its spec are
core clock
same
boost clock
same
cuda cores
1152
memory
2gb
memory interface
256-bit
so would it be worth it to up grade to the 760 superclocked from my current card the 660 FTW ?
 
What resolution are you gaming at and what games are you playing?

Overall, that's not a huge difference in performance that you'll get..
 
I am currently gaming at 1920x1080
my rig is
ASUS mobo M5A97 le 2.0
socket am3/am3+
cpu
amd phenom II black edition 965 x4
memory
8 gb corsair vengence
heatsink fan
cooler master N520
psu
Ultra x750
Video
evga 660 ftw 3gb 192-bit
monitor
acer
24" 5ms 1920x1080 DVI connection
all installed in a Azza hurrican 2000 full tower case, this is my first build
 
Last edited:
if you wanna see a solid increase in performance that worth the money, go directly to the GTX 770 wich are much more future proof.
 
so if i was to upgrade going to like a 770 4gb version would be better, what about the 760 4gb version w/acx cooling, which evga has not released yet, they have the standard fan cooling system 4gb version out and it is going for 289.99 on there web site. so would this be a upgrade or just stick with what I have until maybe the 800 series comes out to lower the prices
just looked at a 770 series they are still kinda outta my price range which is really no higher than 300.00 dollars at this time
 
I was also wanting to maybe overclock my card a bit
have any suggestions
660 FTW signature 2 3gb
 
With regards to 4GB versus 2GB for either the 760 or 770:

Overclocking a 660 will get you a 5-10 performance boost tops due to the power limitations imposed on the GPU by NVIDIA. Worth trying, sure, but it won't really help anything.

For $300, the 7950 is the way to go, and I have seen 7970s on sale in the pat week for as low as $320 after mail in rebates. Those would be more of a step up in performance while being cheaper than the 770. Either way, at 1080p, there's NOT a significant difference between the 660/760 price band and the 770/7950/7970 price band...

The most important thing to ask... is are you happy with your current performance? Are you upgrading to make your game play experience more enjoyable or upgrading for giggles? If it is the former, then a 760 is a waste of your time and money, and if it is the latter.. well.. the 760 is a waste of your time and money.
 
The upgrade is for performance, to upgrade my game play experience. Yes I am happy with the card I have I went from a evga gtx 650 ti 2gb to that 660 FTW 3gb and can tell a big difference. I just want a card that I do not have to worry if its going to be able to handle some of these newer graphic demanding games that are coming out. Video performance that will last a few years that is. Thanks for your input I will just be upgrading my CPU from the Phenom II x4 BE I have now to the AMD FX-8320 cpu here in about a week. I know that is a good upgrade
 
from what ive seen on benchmarks between the 2 cards keep yours. not worth the money at all.
 
Back
Top