Upgrade or not?

WildMonkey

Gawd
Joined
Nov 1, 2007
Messages
889
I have a coupon code from buying SC2 that gives you 20% off the EVGA store that expires tomorrow.

So a GTX 470 costs me $350 - $70 instant - $20 MIR = $260

Is it worth it to upgrade from a 4890, mind you, I don't play anything that maxes my current card, and I've seen some used 5850 sub $240.
 
Last edited:
Man, if you don't play anything that maxes your Radeon 4890, then I don't see a point to getting a GTX 470.
 
I would only if you are playing DX11 games right now, or plan to before the end of the year. I wouldn't buy the GTX 470 though. The GTX 460 1gb overclocked card from EVGA is a lot cheaper, runs cooler, uses less power than the 470 and performs reasonably close to it (most games the 470 only gets a couple more frames per second over the 460).

So the $250 overclocked GTX 460 1gb would only cost you $200, not bad.
 
Upgrading doesn't make much sense financially unless you're getting unacceptable game performance. Sounds like you're not. I read that ATI is enabling AA in SC2 in the next driver release, so that might be the breaking point for your HD 4890 (but probably not - its still a strong card).
 
Upgrading doesn't make much sense financially unless you're getting unacceptable game performance. Sounds like you're not. I read that ATI is enabling AA in SC2 in the next driver release, so that might be the breaking point for your HD 4890 (but probably not - its still a strong card).

PSA: The 10.7a hotfix already has SC2 AA for ATI cards, including older ones going all the way back to the 2xxx series, for those who are interested.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATICat107aBetaDriver.aspx
 
Back
Top