Upgrade or not?

cstrife32

n00b
Hey guys I'm gonna upgrade my current system, and I have all the other stuff settled except my video card situation. I don't know whether I should upgrade or not. I currently have a 8800GT with 512 MB DDR3. My new system specs are in the list below.

GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 mobo
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB hd storage
Intel Core i5-750 processor
CORSAIR XMS3 4GB DDR3 1600 ram
Intel X25-M Mainstream SSD 80GB SATA II boot drive
my old 250 gig Western Digital HD storage
Antec Eartwatts 500W PSU

Some things to take into account are these. I'm not gonna get 2 video cards for crossfire or sli ever. (plus my mobo doesn't do it that well) I have 150 bucks in best buy gift cards so you could subtract 150 from the price of any card from best buy. Right now I mainly play CS 1.6 and WOW, but I will invest in getting some newer games soon. Especially Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3. Also, The parts above have already been ordered so none of that is up for change. I will change my PSU if it is necessary. What do you guys think?

Holy stone age. You should definently look into a wisdescreen monitor. At least 1680x1050. I used to use an 8800GT at 1680x1050 and it did pretty well, most new games at medium/high combo and it worked perfect for WoW

for 150 you can probably snatch a 5770, which would be a nice upgrade from that 8800. If you plan on getting a new monitor and going above 1900, then you should probably invest in a 5850 or better if you can afford it.

Well I can spend more than 150, I mean you could add like maybe 100-150 to that price, but remember it's best buy, so their selection is limited plus they are at a higher price than Newegg.

There is a thread in hot deals about a PNY GTX 260 at Best Buy for $137. I grabbed one recently to upgrade from my 8800GT. If you can find one at your local Best Buy for 137, it would be a nice upgrade without you having to spend extra money.

man - i wish i just "found" a $100 in gc's. At any rate you should put them to good use in a video card. that gtx260 for $137 sounds perfect for your needs

Okay so you have $250 in gift cards.
And I assume this is the selection you are dealing with:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemp...50008##0##c&add_to_pkg=false&pagetype=listing

Based on that, I'd say that a 5850 would have been ideal for you, but it looks sold out. You could get a GTX 470 and see if there was an MIR on that card. The 5870 is also sold out.

Another route you can go is get a new monitor and a new video card at the same time. You could get say a 5770 and a nice 23" or 24" gaming monitor to go with it.

Based on that, I'd say that a 5850 would have been ideal for you, but it looks sold out. You could get a GTX 470 and see if there was an MIR on that card. The 5870 is also sold out.

Another route you can go is get a new monitor and a new video card at the same time. You could get say a 5770 and a nice 23" or 24" gaming monitor to go with it.

I was thinking about the second option(and that is most likely what I am going to do), but 23 seems to big, maybe a 22 lol. At the same time, I was wondering whether my system would be able to handle newer games at that resolution with max settings. I wish Nvidia would stop avoiding price wars and just release a card at that price range though; I have had bad experiences with ATI.

I was thinking about the second option(and that is most likely what I am going to do), but 23 seems to big, maybe a 22 lol. At the same time, I was wondering whether my system would be able to handle newer games at that resolution with max settings. I wish Nvidia would stop avoiding price wars and just release a card at that price range though; I have had bad experiences with ATI.

You're probably right. 22" at 1680x1050 resolution would match a 5770 better. I have heard that Nvidia will soon release a GTX 460 but all rumors indicate that the 1GB version will cost $250 and the 768mb version will cost $230. Nvidia is capable of making good hardware but they charge a premium. *shrugs*

"Exact pricing until release is always just speculation, but most reports put the GTX 460 in the $230-$250 dollar price range, positing directly to go head-to-head with the ATI HD 5830."
http://www.neoseeker.com/news/14216-nvidia-gtx-460-reference-images-surface/

Last edited:
8800GT at 1280x1024 res it still does pretty damn good at that resolution. Personally, I'd just blow the whole $250 on a new monitor myself. Hehe

Back