Upgrade or New Build?

Joined
Aug 9, 2005
Messages
15
This is my current setup that I built a few years ago (late '06, early '07):

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ cpu
ASUS M2N-E socket AM2 (nForce 570 Ultra) mobo
eVGA GeForce 7600 GT PCI-Ex16 gfx card
2GB of G.Skill DDR2 800 memory

The last upgrade I did was bumping up the RAM from 1gig to 2gigs about a year ago. My question is, since now I guess the new CPU to have is the Intel Core 2 Duo series (or whatever Intel's current lineup is, point being that from what I hear Intel is the best right now for gaming, not AMD), is it worth it to continue upgrading my rig? Next I guess would be a new video card if I kept this comp. Do you guys think it'd be smarter in the long run to just build a new rig with a more modern mobo and cpu and everything?

Thanks for the help, this computer has performed beautifully and still runs most games pretty strong, but I can tell it's nearing the end of it's life (maybe just video card bottlenecking?) and I'm anticipating the new Star Trek and Star Wars MMOs coming out in the next year or two.
 
it depends on what do you plan to use your PC for
hardcore gaming?
 
Your CPU will most likely bottleneck a GPU upgrade, OC'd or not, so you should upgrade your entire platform. Answer the sticky questions and we can help you better. BTW, you should at least wait for the new CPUs/mobos from Intel and new GPUs from ati/nvidia.
 
Back
Top