I mainly game.
Currently running
p5qse
q9550 @3.4
5850 PCS+
6gigs ddr2
1 tb WDB
750 antec trupower

So.. I am thinking about upgrading video. I game at 1920x1080.
Honestly not sure at this point that is worth it.
Thoughts?

Before I upgraded to my current rig, I had a Q9550 and a 5850. I got a great deal on a slightly used GTX 570 and it was definitely worth it, at 1920x1200 it made a big difference. You should check out the FS section, maybe you can snag a 7950 if you want to stay with the red team. Cheapest option if you want to try SLI is to pick up another 5850.....

Id say go for either a I5 3570k or a AMD FX-8350, which ever floats your boat. Sell the 5850 and grab a 7950 and you'll have a solid gaming rig at that resolution

A new GPU and CPU from that setup you will definitely see the difference. It's not like you're going from a 2500K to a 3570K or something like that, were you see practically no difference.

If you're looking for value, as previously suggested, a 3570K/HD7950 rig would be ideal.

If you want to splurge go 3930K/Titan or 7970GHz ed.

I'd say your better off upgrading your CPU/Mobo/Memory before just upgrading your video card.

Last year I went from a 5850 to a 660ti on a whim and don't really think it was worth it.
But my upgrade from a q6600 to a 2600K sure was.

Might want to look at getting a SSD to satisfy that upgrade bug as well. It drives me nuts using a rig without one now. Waiting sucks.

I was going to do a full upgrade, but though I would wait until the new chipset comes out this summer.
Until then I was thinking about picking up a 670gtx.

Get the video card. You've still got enough CPU horsepower to handle 1920x1080 with little problem. Yeah youll lose out on a few fps vs a new i5 but it wont be much. Youll gain a WHOLE lot more with a better GPU than you will a new CPU.

Im kinda in the same boat as you in that Im getting the itch to retire my trusty, 3 year old 5870. It plays 99% of games at max settings with 40-60 fps average so I cant really justify it though. BF3 and Crysis 1 have me dropping a setting or two to keep proper frame rates and Im sure Far Cry and Crysis 3 will be rig busters so its for that reason Im wanting to move up (plus a bad case of chronic upgradeitus).

Which card will depend on how much youre willing to spend. The 7970 or GTX680 are NOT impractical for our resolution. If you can swing their price tag, either would be my choice. The GTX670 would be my 2nd choice with the 7950 a close 3rd.

If the $300 price range is too much for you then the 7870 would be the lowest I would go. Theyre floating around $220 shipped right now and would be a noticeable increase in performance. However judging by benchmarks, it wont be a HUGE upgrade and I really do think that coughing up the extra $100 for a 7950 would be worth it if you can.

The 7870 would be the lowest I would go though. Anything below that wont be a big enough upgrade to be worth it.

I was looking at a OC gtx670 for $340 AR
Seemed like a good deal. I dunno about you, but kinda want to try something that doesn't rely on AMD drivers for a change. I guess that has improved and I haven't had any issues for a while, but some of the old issues were annoying.

I was looking at a OC gtx670 for $340 AR
Seemed like a good deal. I dunno about you, but kinda want to try something that doesn't rely on AMD drivers for a change. I guess that has improved and I haven't had any issues for a while, but some of the old issues were annoying.

Once again, right there with ya. I too have grown a little tired of AMD driver hassles and am also looking at the GTX670. That wouldn't be the Galaxy card would it? The GC version? If so, get it. That would be a superb upgrade and I would love to have one but cant make myself part with the funds right now. But yeah, that would be a great way to go and is about the perfect card for 1920x1080.

I'd start with a new GPU, but upgrade the rest of your platform when you can. Don't upgrade the rest of your platform without a new GPU, though. (Unless you need a new CPU/more RAM for reasons other than gaming)

7970 is too expensive.

Not 7970. 7870 Tahiti. If you don't mind a little extra power and heat (over a regular 7870/7950), those chips seem to be performing wonderfully for the price. There's a good deal in the [H]ot deals section now. I'm kinda tempted myself.

Not 7970. 7870 Tahiti. If you don't mind a little extra power and heat (over a regular 7870/7950), those chips seem to be performing wonderfully for the price. There's a good deal in the [H]ot deals section now. I'm kinda tempted myself.

Yep.went ahead and pulled the trigger on this today cant wait:)

Back