Upgrade Options/Path Help or Suggestions

veterator

[H]ard|Gawd
So, getting older and having less time to spend on gaming and keeping up with PC hardware in general.

I have a general idea on where I'd like to end up, but I'd like to get there in a way that makes sense and where I'll be happy with what I end up with.

Right now I have a desktop that I think will last another 2 or 3 years for what I use it for, mostly only have time to play Guild Wars 2 with any regularity. Lack of time has kept me from keeping up with other possible game options. However I am also getting more interested in tinkering with programming and maybe some Arduino/Raspberry Pi projects for a hobby.

So I am hoping I will get some suggestions and personal anecdotes from people who've tried things out and why they did or did not like the way they turned out.

What I'd like to end up with basically is a work area with a desktop w/ 3 monitors and a laptop with docking station that could theoretically use 1-2 of the monitors the desktop uses if it was desired. So I could have a 2-3 monitor setup on either the desktop or laptop without needing to have 5-6 monitors. Maybe there's a way to do this makes more sense I am unaware of, but I was thinking 1 or 2 of the monitors could have dual inputs and be able to switch from the desktop to the laptop docking station to move monitors.

There might even be ways to make the laptop and desktop integrate more that I am not aware of. At work our machines are so locked down due regulations that I haven't been able to see them use the stuff in any cool ways for ideas.

Overall I need to come up with some basic idea on what I need for each item and what the general price range will be. Those areas being Laptop, Docking station, Desktop, Monitors, mounting arms, and other peripherals. Also what order it makes the most sense to buy them in. Right now I think the desktop would be last. Laptop would likely be first, though it really needs to "fit" me. Monitors depends on how large of an investment I am going to need to make to get what I want/need. I realize a lot of it is subjective, but it's just too many factors to consider and I have almost no experience with monitor selections and laptops for the last 8-10 years. Desktops are probably last 5-8 without much experience. So anything that you can provide whether it's stuff to read or try to see in person would be helpful. Thanks.

**Laptop**

Now I know people will say I could do all of this with just a laptop, and I think so too, but I keep running into one basic problem: The laptop is a gaming system with terrible battery life and seems counter to what I would actually use the laptop for in every other circumstance rather than sitting at my own desk. I don't see myself playing games on the laptop anywhere else. I also don't want it to weigh a ton and have incredibly short battery life, though if I had to pick between those two options, I'd rather it weigh more to get more battery life out of it.

The unknowns I have on the laptop is if I would benefit from using it in tablet mode or touch screen in anyway. I can see the benefit of being able to draw on it like a piece of paper and mark things up when thinking about designs, but when I tried it before (admittedly a long time ago) I was never happy with the experience. I could see myself using a 15 inch screen at the largest and nothing smaller than a 13. Not sure whether 4k would matter to me or not.

Thought the Microsoft Surface new offerings were cool, but they felt light on ports. Lenovo Yoga, HP Spectre seem like nice 2 in 1s. As for straight laptops, everyone seems to be raving about the Dell XPS series. To cover all my bases I am tempted to get a gaming machine, but I just can not see myself lugging it around with me if I go that route.

Main concern with laptop right now: That it can support at least 2 additional monitors while using the laptop screen too. Reading around it seems like some of the options out there can't do this, but I am not sure how you determine if a laptop can for sure do something like this or not. Especially if you are using higher end monitors that can do 4k, which I don't know if that will be something I do or not yet, but I don't want to rule it out until I have good reason to.

I'd like it to also have charging via USB C, have a phone that does it and it'd be nice to have one charger type for both. Not necessary, but would be very handy.

**Desktop**

Have no idea what AMD and Intel offer now in terms of gaming experience or how big of a deal the CPU is in gaming now versus the GPU. I doubt I would really tax any hardware when it came to gaming unless something comes out that really intrigues me and needs high end. Generally I am mostly an MMO or RPG kind of gamer. So think Witcher, Guild Wars 2, World of Warcraft. Maybe some games like Saints Row or Just Cause. Maybe Overwatch, though FPS doesn't appeal like it used to anymore. I don't really care about ultra high end settings on my games, it's cool but it's usually too much of a headache to keep it running well when they do updates and what not.

One thing of note was that the Android development stuff when I looked at it in the past, Intel had ways to run the environment faster due to whatever. So that may be something to keep in mind if it hasn't changed.

Don't care about form factor, have seen the wall mounted PCs, neat looking but simple is better for me probably. Small case would be cool, but I worry about cooling issues with how large video cards generally are anymore.

Liquid cooling on the CPU would be nice, not mandatory, but it seems like it's something that could be done without it being a major ordeal. GPU and the like, I have no idea how much of a PITA it would be there.

Minimum 16 gigs of ram. Minimum 256 gb SSD. Additional storage drive of at least 1 tb, larger is better.

Easy to dust and good cable management.

Needs to be 3 monitor setup, don't care if the games use all 3..would be nice but not a deal breaker for me. Will talk about the monitor needs below.

**Monitors**

3 of them at a minimum. Ideally they'd all be 24 or larger, but I think there would be benefit in having the center monitor be larger, like a 30ish inch or so. I can't speak for orientation of the monitors or preferred resolutions at whatever sizes. I haven't had experience with any of the very fancy monitor options out there. They provide some 1900x1200 ish resolution monitors at work that I think are about 22-24 in size (2 of them) with the laptop serving as the third on a docking station.

I don't mind paying out more money for monitors if they will last. I have an old Dell from 2001 I am still using that I am happy with. Will have to look up it's model number to share if people care. The AMD/Nvidia Sync technologies may matter here, so something to consider if they really make a difference. Also if paying more gets me more connection options to the monitor that might also be beneficial.

Could see the benefit having a monitor in portrait mode to see more code, but I am so used to seeing monitors in landscape I am not sure if it would bother me or not.

Not sure what the benefits of 4k are besides better resolution/picture. I can imagine it'd make games look really nice, though I don't know how it would impact the desktop experience. More real estate is great, having to squint/lean in to read to use the real estate is not.

I'd like all 3 monitors to be suspended off the desk, preferably by a desk mount with arm. But I'd consider a wall mount with arm. My concern with the wall mount is that if I end up renting I won't be able to use them.

**Other Peripherals**

Mechanical Keyboard - I see people are getting into building their own keyboards to fit their needs/style/etc. Would be an interesting experience, but generally I like my keyboards to be large. Spread out numpads, extra function keys...backlit, volume controls, USB hub, etc. Don't have experienc with switches to say one way or the other, but using the keyboard at work versus my Corsair K90 is night and day. Work one drops my key presses often, and I find myself jamming down on the keys because they don't have any feeling or much of a click to them. Though if I had my K90 at work, I'd like it more but I could see it driving other people slowly insane due to how much noise it makes.

Laptop Docking station - Don't know all the varieties out there, but it needs to allow me to get 2 additional screens hooked up to the laptop, a keyboard, mouse, potentially speakers/headphones, and more USB 3 slots for whatever may come up. If the laptop physically docks with it, that's fine. If it doesn't, I would like to have something where the laptop would rest on it to make it place the screen at a more usable height/angle with the other screens.

Speakers/headphones - If there is something that really stands out or would make sense in this setup please share. But I think these are just going to be personal preference.

You would need something like these:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834981088
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/th2go/displayport/

You need a clearer idea what you can fit into the space and what resolution you want to run. When you have the desktop and laptop both connected what screens will each be using?

1080P is pretty crap these days for anything larger than 24". I would be looking at 27" 2560x1440, 32" 4K, 34" 3440x1440, etc.

3 of these would be pretty sick but you would need massive space.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260239

Considered going large with something like a Sony 43X800D or E? Would give you a ton of desktop real estate. You could fit a couple 28" 4K diagonals on each side to really go nuts.

If you don't want a serious gamer something like a Dell Gaming 7000 has great screen, one of the best batteries, and the 1050 Ti is still pretty good. If you moved up to a 1070 it could likely handle all your gaming needs but the slim models even with Optimus or MaxQ build up a lot of heat from hours of gaming so you would need a laptop cooler. The HP Omen 17t can be had with a 1060 or 1070 but has that kind of ugh gamer look and tend to be noisy. The Asus Strix and Zephyrus models look a little nicer but have really weak batteries. It really comes down to budget.

If I was running both the laptop and desktop at the same time. I'd likely have the center and right monitor for the desktop and left monitor for the laptop.

And it's hard to visualize the size of the 34" curved you linked, but I'd say I could probably do 2 of them side by side without much issue. A third would be pretty tight. Depending on the arrangement the arms would allow for.

The TV as a monitor is a good idea, although I think I might be sitting too close to it the way my desk is right now.

The Dell Gaming 7000 is a pretty good option. I agree, I don't like the "gamer" look of a lot of the gaming laptops. The HP Omen is actually on sale on Best Buy for the 17 inch, but that's just too large and heavy. I likely wouldn't lug around a 17 inch laptop if I had it. Borrowed a 17 incher, didn't care for it at all.

But the battery life on that Dell laptop looks really good for what else it can do, and the reviews say they are planning on adding an IPS screen to it.

Gotta say the 600-700 dollar monitor or tv options look pretty sweet, but I'd have to spread them out over time. So I wonder if I shouldn't consider getting a "primary" monitor first with plans to add more later. Though the issue I run into there is that the screens potentially being phased out and in with a new model.

What would you guess a desktop budget at to get something I described in the OP ? I suspect it will go down in price of GPUs gets more reasonable over the next year or two. But I am looking at it like this:

- The monitor/screens - I am likely to keep them for 8-10 years easily if I make a good choice and spend a bit. I don't want to go insane but don't want to buy bargain screens because I'd like to enjoy using them. The mounting arms would likely be used over, I just worry about mounting them to the desk and the weight of 3 monitors causing the desk to fail in some way. That'd really suck.

- Desktop will be a 6-8 year easy, might not be my primary the whole time but I typically use my "new" machine for 5 years as a primary when it comes to gaming.

- Laptop really depends on how much I use it. 5 years for sure, could be much longer if it holds up.

But you've given me some good suggestions, none of this will be an impulse purchase. So it'd be good to narrow it down to some choices and see what comes in terms of sales/options. Thank you for mentioning the Dell laptop especially, that battery life surprises me.

The Dell 7000's with 1050 Ti's have IPS screens, the ones with 1050's have crappy TN's.

At high resolutions your mostly GPU limited these days. At 4K most cpu\mb\ram combos (low end and high end) will give close to the same fps when using the same card. If you were doing 1080P@144Hz that could be a different story. So for a desktop budget I would want about $1000 for everything not including GPU. You could knock that down to $800 with cheaper components but they would start to show their age faster.

If you sit at least 2 & 1/2 ft back from the screen then the size should be fine. You can get the dimensions and cut out a piece of cardboard to match the size and sit in on your desk to get an idea of what the screen size would be like.

Just throwing this out there but I recently went from a 27in 1440p to a 42in 4k wasabi mango cheapie Korean tv that I wall mounted about a foot further back. In reality it is about the same ppi on the screens and a much more enjoyable experience. Also gone are the frustrations of multi monitor stuff, but on new setup you have to get used to not full screening apps to do like side by side stuff.

As far as doing stuff on the laptop I personally just use something like TeamViewer and just remote into it, this using desktop keyboard and mouse.

TV with a wall mount could be a possibility. The thing is my desk is a corner desk, got any corner mount suggestions? The cheapy wall mounts I've had in the past just pissed me off, bought a omnimount years ago when tvs were starting to get lighter but the cheapy mounts were bowing under the weight. Mount would definitely need to be able to pull out from the corner quite a bit to get the adjustment right for being able to read text if I want to use the highest resolutions.

Saw some software the other day made to help you deal with windows spread out across a single or multiple desktops. So you can designate the window size and what not maximize usefulness. Might be something that would make a single big screen make more sense.

Kind of thinking with something like that Dell Gaming 7000 laptop and a new monitor/tv setup I'd basically have a setup I could use until the laptop started showing it's age in terms of gaming, then buy the desktop. Which spacing out the purchases would make upgrading less of a pain and the price tags easier to swallow. Got a moderate level of concern at work about cutbacks/downsizing, which is obviously going to have a pretty heavy influence on these purchases. Kind of hate to look at the options due to the temptation, but also would like to be informed in case something goes on a decent sale and makes sense to purchase.

Hmm for my setup I use one of the fold flat but extension arm mounts like https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003...2936185&sr=1-14&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65. Note not this particular model, but very similar. As far as the wasabi a TV I have is super light <20lbs. One suggestion is to get a TV with 4:4:4 HDMI 2, so you can read txt better. You might need one with a longer arm but if you position it right you can get a pretty good angle in a corner.

As far as the laptop idea sounds like a good plan from my experience with a gigabyte one with a 880m GTX and an older Asus with a 560m they can get expensive if you try to chase generational advances in GPU performance... But if you can snag one with thunderbolt an external GPU might even negate needing a desktop, but just my 2c and a beast mode desktop down the line would also work.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back