Upgrade my 260GTX

Jhadur

n00b
Joined
Jun 6, 2008
Messages
7
I am getting a middle of the year bonus and thinking it is time to upgrade my graphic. I really only play SC2 and WoW right now and D3 when it comes out. I would like to not spend more than say 175ish, I am lazy on MIR but would be willing to do them. Not a huge ATI fan but if its the best in my price range then i have not problems.

I found this GTX 560

Any other recommend are welcome.
 
You can find a ATI 6870 for cheap on Newegg.com these days. For about the price you're looking for. I have the XFX 6870 Black Edition and it's cool... quiet... and powerful.

I think the 6870 is more overclockable then the GTX and a lot more quieter/cooler - maybe ~4-6% increase in performance over the GTX 560 until you get to higher resolutions but overall that's what I'd go with.
 
if all you play is SC2 and WoW i'd say save the money til right before D3 comes out. SC2 and WoW aren't really that demanding of games for the GTX 260 but thats just my opinion. but i agree with JesseH's suggestion.. but if you absolutely want to go nvidia you are better off buying the GTX 460 1GB instead of the GTX 560(non TI which is what you were looking at to buy), they are about the same as far as performance goes and the 460 can be found for around 100 dollars if you look in the right places and wait for a deal to popup.
 
Personal opinion, 260gtx is fine for both of those games, as well as most games out right now. You might have to play some on medium, that's really the only issue I can think of (besides dx11 support)
 
Thanks i think the feeling of needing to spend the money on something new and shines right now has passed because you all are right not really worth the upgrade right now.
 
Unless you're higher than 1920x1080, the 260 is still a very adequate card for almost everything out there (except Crysis and Metro), even with some slider fun (ie cranking up AF+AA).

The only reason I "sidegraded" to a 6950 from a 260 SLI setup is a) had the $ ;), b) wanted shiny new stuff :D, and c) wanted lower power draw without the hiccup of having a 2 card setup. Kinda mainly C, but B is a big part. :D
 
Yup, keep your 260 until you want to play something more demanding.

And also when you do, your minimum upgrade should be a 6870/GTX 560. This will give you a %50-60 performance improvement.
 
Yup, keep your 260 until you want to play something more demanding.

And also when you do, your minimum upgrade should be a 6870/GTX 560. This will give you a %50-60 performance improvement.

Unfortunately more like 30% a lot of the time http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Prod...7.220.222.223.228.229.230.231.232.233.234.235

I play sc2 at 2560x1600 on ultra on my 260, and I stand by the fact that its an all cpu game and I would be pretty shocked if D3 didn't run great on highest settings as well.
 
Went from a gtx260 to a 6970... best move i ever made in my life computer wise
 
You can find a ATI 6870 for cheap on Newegg.com these days. For about the price you're looking for. I have the XFX 6870 Black Edition and it's cool... quiet... and powerful.

I think the 6870 is more overclockable then the GTX and a lot more quieter/cooler - maybe ~4-6% increase in performance over the GTX 560 until you get to higher resolutions but overall that's what I'd go with.

A regular gtx560 vs a 6870 both at 1000 core?
The gtx 560 wins every time. With a small voltage bump just about every gtx560 will hit 1000 core.
Proof... you must click the first google post here.
[ame="http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=ie7&q=gtx460+vs+6850+overclocked&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7ACAW_enUS415US415"]302 Moved[/ame]

A gtx460 (same as a gtx560) @ 860 core = a stock 6870. I have one and mine does 930 core. My 140$ AR gtx460 HAWK @ 930 core @ 1.05v will eat your 6870 @ 1000 core for breakfast. And yes it runs cool and quiet also. :)
Regular gtx560's clock higher than gtx460's easily.

A stock gtx560 is 810 core and will reach 1000 core , a stock 6870 is 900 core and will reach 1000 core, the gtx560 overclocks 9% more and scales much better with a overclock. This is common knowledge.

A gtx560 ti version is stock clocked at 823 core vs the 6870's 900 core. At stock setting a gtx 560 ti is faster by about 10%.
When you overclock both the gtx560ti and 6870 to 1000 core , the gtx560 ti will destroy a 6870, and equal a gtx570 and 6970 @ 1080p in some cases. A 6870 at 1000 core = a 6950 in some cases.
Proof... here is the gtx560 ti Gigabyte SOC at 1000 core giving a gtx570 and 6970 a run for its money @ 1080p.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/gigabyte-gtx-560-ti-soc-review/18
This is also common knowledge.

@ Jhadur, if you overclock, and play at 1900x1080 or under, the gtx560 is the way to go.
37896.png
 
Last edited:
Back
Top