Upgrade musings... [email protected] to q9550@???

Decibel

2[H]4U
I am currently suffering from a severe case of upgraditis. I don't need to do anything to my computer, but I WANT to.

I am one of the unfortunates who lives and works in close proximity to a Fry's Electronics, The temptation is often fierce.

This week they're advertising a POS mobo and q9550 for $299.99.

I'd be running it in an Abit IP35-pro with 4gigs and a 8800gts512. It would be cooled by a Hyper212 with two fans and of course cranked to the limit. :D

I'm just not sure how much of an improvement I'd really see. I don't do much with that system, a bit of music creation using Reason (Speaking of which, anyone find a midi controller with Vista 64 bit drivers?) but mostly I surf and play games.

The fact is I'm GPU limited and don't even spend that much time on the box. The most demanding thing I do is spend a couple hours a week playing Supreme Commander against a gob of AI opponents on one of the BIG maps.

Damn, it's tempting... They also have a q9400 for $229.99.

Maybe a GTX280?

Can you guys convince me to blow the cash on silicon instead of booze?

I think a quad-core would help out in SupCom quite a bit. What res are you running?

Getting a quad would be a good upgrade. SC also loves the MHz, so you'd get a pretty big performance improvement simply from the extra headroom you'll have with the Q9550 or Q9400. I've got my Q9550 running at 3.8GHz perfectly stable, so you could definitely get a lot of performance out of one.

Back