wasteomind
Gawd
- Joined
- Aug 13, 2004
- Messages
- 522
So I've got the urge to upgrade again. I just got a GTX 680 to replace my tri sli gtx 280s, and a Crucial M4 256gb SSD to replace my Velociraptor RAID 0 setup. I'm feeling the itch for another upgrade and I'm debating between picking up a second gtx680 somehow, or upgrading my MOBO and CPU.
I'm leaning more towards the MOBO/CPU for a couple reasons. The first being I picked up the first generation EVGA X58 3x SLI board and while it has served me well it had one massive glaring issue, Sleep mode resume while overclocked. Too many problems with it to use it. While it wasn't a big issue I wish I could have used it. More annoyingly, was the double pump start from cold boot, even sometimes on restart, and just a generally long BIOS/POST start up. BIOS updates on the board also led to some wonky overclock inconsistencies and stability from version to version.
Another reason is I ended up with the C0 stepping on my CPU and didn't have much luck with it compared to others. So I've been running my 920 at 3.8ghz with turbo enabled for the past 4+ years and I just want to go faster. I play MMOs somewhat frequently which are CPU heavy, and would thus be my biggest motivation for targeting the CPU but I'm not sure the benefits of upgrading would be worth it.
One thing I'm really interested in the newer platforms is the Virtual Vsync, since vsync is an absolute must for me. Is this Lucid technology ready for prime time (I haven't seen much about it) or is it another driver compatibility nightmare pipe dream like their Hydra platform was?
A concern however is I thought Intel was getting ready to phase out this current generation socket type, and that not to long from now we might be looking at a new micro architecture cycle Haswell. Am I wrong? Also what about CPU revisions for Ivy Bridge? I really don't wanna get owned on something like the Bloomfield C0 vs D0 stepping again....
A bit longer post then I expected, but I guess it covers my question; In your opinion, where is my money best spent, an additional GTX 680 or a new CPU/MOBO platform.
I'm leaning more towards the MOBO/CPU for a couple reasons. The first being I picked up the first generation EVGA X58 3x SLI board and while it has served me well it had one massive glaring issue, Sleep mode resume while overclocked. Too many problems with it to use it. While it wasn't a big issue I wish I could have used it. More annoyingly, was the double pump start from cold boot, even sometimes on restart, and just a generally long BIOS/POST start up. BIOS updates on the board also led to some wonky overclock inconsistencies and stability from version to version.
Another reason is I ended up with the C0 stepping on my CPU and didn't have much luck with it compared to others. So I've been running my 920 at 3.8ghz with turbo enabled for the past 4+ years and I just want to go faster. I play MMOs somewhat frequently which are CPU heavy, and would thus be my biggest motivation for targeting the CPU but I'm not sure the benefits of upgrading would be worth it.
One thing I'm really interested in the newer platforms is the Virtual Vsync, since vsync is an absolute must for me. Is this Lucid technology ready for prime time (I haven't seen much about it) or is it another driver compatibility nightmare pipe dream like their Hydra platform was?
A concern however is I thought Intel was getting ready to phase out this current generation socket type, and that not to long from now we might be looking at a new micro architecture cycle Haswell. Am I wrong? Also what about CPU revisions for Ivy Bridge? I really don't wanna get owned on something like the Bloomfield C0 vs D0 stepping again....
A bit longer post then I expected, but I guess it covers my question; In your opinion, where is my money best spent, an additional GTX 680 or a new CPU/MOBO platform.