• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrade in the making

EndersShadow

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
1,228
Currently I have a set of Logitech X-530's connected to my computer. They do what I need right now. I do not however need 5.1 from my computer speakers as I only need them to listen to regular music when surfing. I would like to purchase a nice set of studio monitors for music ONLY (see reason below). They will be run straight from my P5E motherboards built in soundcard (unless overwhelming evidence shows I need to upgrade). This purchase will be made in the next 3-5 months as I need to sell some other stuff to make room on my desk for any of these speakers.

For watching movies I am running HDMI from my computer into my receiver (which will be upgraded shortly to one that decodes audio via HDMI) into a set of Polks (listed in sig). The video is displayed on my 32" HDTV as opposed to my two computer monitors. Pictures of my setup can be found here.

I got a chance to listen to the KRK Rokit 5's and 8's (the 8's are huge and waaaaaay overkill, but I still want :)) at Guitar Center and they blew me away. Unfortunately they did not have the RoKit 6's hooked up nor the M-Audio AV 40's (they didnt even have them in stock at all). No one near me even carries the Swans.

I have seen the following sets recommended time after time. Between these three sets which would you get and why (keeping in mind I might add a sub later but this is initially strictly for listening to music while working on my computers)

1. M-Audio AV40's ~140 in store for the pair (prob can find a discount coupon somehwhere to lower this)

2. KRK Rokit Powered 6 Generation 2 199.99 per speaker at Guitar Center, total cost around ~400

3. Swan M200MkII 229 for pair

4. M-Audio Studiophile BX5a ~300 for the set​
 
Last edited:
Why do you want studio monitors? Do you understand the concept behind studio MONITORS?

I still use a Logitech MX5021 2.1 system and it sound great for music.. but they're not monitors... not even close.

Are you using these speakers for LISTEN and ENJOYING music, or are you going to use them for professional critique?
 
Are you using these speakers for LISTEN and ENJOYING music, or are you going to use them for professional critique?

The short answer is both. I bought the Logitechs because they were I could afford at the time. I have learned since moving up from my old Home Theater in a Box setup to a better setup just what little things you miss with lower quality speakers.

I do a bit of video editing and mixing with audio so I am in need of them for critique as well.
 
I would stay away from the swans.
I had a pair of swans powered speakers and their electronics stink. A very short time after I started using them they would drop the left channel. Never did get it fixed, I moved on to a different solution.
 
Why do you want studio monitors? Do you understand the concept behind studio MONITORS?

Probably because they are a good option. If you want something better than computer speakers your options are either a receiver (or amp) and home theater speakers, or powered studio monitors. Each way has some advantages and disadvantages. One advantage of the monitors is they are all inclusive. You just plug your sound card right in to them. Cuts down on the clutter and extra devices.

I still use a Logitech MX5021 2.1 system and it sound great for music.. but they're not monitors... not even close.

That's fine, and if it makes you happy then great, however recognize that some people want higher quality sound. What sounds good to you may not too others. Personally I don't really care for computer speakers.

EndersShadow: Something else to look at are the Behringer Truth line of monitors. They are quite low cost for powered monitors, in keeping with Behringer's other gear. Nobody (other than Behringer) is going to claim they are the best you can get, but they do a good job given the price. Don't buy them cold, but Guitar Center should have them, so give them a listen as well.
 
If you want something better than computer speakers your options are either a receiver (or amp) and home theater speakers, or powered studio monitors. Each way has some advantages and disadvantages. One advantage of the monitors is they are all inclusive. You just plug your sound card right in to them. Cuts down on the clutter and extra devices.

That's fine, and if it makes you happy then great, however recognize that some people want higher quality sound. What sounds good to you may not too others. Personally I don't really care for computer speakers.

EndersShadow: Something else to look at are the Behringer Truth line of monitors. They are quite low cost for powered monitors, in keeping with Behringer's other gear. Nobody (other than Behringer) is going to claim they are the best you can get, but they do a good job given the price. Don't buy them cold, but Guitar Center should have them, so give them a listen as well.

I will start doing some looking to see if someone around here carries those. I prefer to go listen to them at least once. As you stated I do also have a AVR (soon to be upgraded) and some passives for movies, but they are setup specifically for watching from the bed and there is no real way to alter that based on my room setup.

I do just want better sound. I don't need it to blow my socks off but I want to accurately and clearly hear the details in the songs I am missing now. As you mentioned I like that they are self powered, I just plug them in and go, as well as it is straight from the computer to the speaker cutting down on more clutter in addition to what I have now.

@Snufykat: Thanks for the heads up. I know lots of folks say they rock, but honestly unless I can see em and perhaps hear them they were last on my list. I really don't want to tie up money in these only to listen to them to find out I dont like them and then wait for a refund on my money only to start this all over again.
 
I've heard the KRKs and they are pretty nice, can't comment on the others.
 
I use KRK's and run them balanced. I can say that I am pretty happy with them. One thing is that if you are going with 5" or 6" speakers, you may want to add a sub but I never needed to add one... even on my old school Alesis monitors.
 
I use KRK's and run them balanced. I can say that I am pretty happy with them. One thing is that if you are going with 5" or 6" speakers, you may want to add a sub but I never needed to add one... even on my old school Alesis monitors.

I have seen that and I like that KRK has a sub for just that reason that would match the monitors.

After talking to a friend of mine who does recording and is a huge guitar player I think I have decided on the KRK's. They were top of his list so I am probably going to get them. Now the question becomes do I get an external DAC to start with or not, and if so which one. Decisions, decisions.

As always any input is appreciated.
 
Bumping this again to make sure I have all the parts I am going to need.

Based on some suggestions (link and link) I am going to purchase an external DAC, the M-Audio FireWire Solo, and a pair of KRK Rokit Powered 6 Generation 2's.

I understand I would be running the audio from my computer via firewire to the DAC, from there I would have two cables running to my KRK's, but would this setup allow for the possible addition (at a later date) of a sub, or do I need to change the DAC I was looking at? If I was going to get a sub I was looking at just going with the KRK 10s, to keep it all in the family.

I doubt I would need a sub but want to plan for it now so I have that option later if I want it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
 
KRKs. If you were closer to me I'd just sell you my pair ;)

Yup, to bad your basically on the other side the of country. I keep looking on Craigslist but all I see are the 5's and I specifically want the 6's as they get a better low end.

Oh well, I just want to make sure I have all the parts in order so when it comes time to buy I know exactly how much to budget.

Just cant wait to rock those speakers out.....
 
Back
Top