Upgrade HELL

jsn117

Limp Gawd
I have been troubleshooting my computer for the better part of two weeks now...now this:

everything works, I swap out HDs for one I had to format on an old computer. I plug everything in, power up....CPU fan spins for a split second...then dies. computer does not power up after having done so one hour ago.

therefore I know its not the CPU sitting wrong...and im guessing its not the PSU - thats brand new and 480w.

...help?

Take the whole puter out and try run it on a wooden table or a nice hard, flat and unconductive surface, that way you'll know if its a short or not. After youve done that, get back to us :)

jsn117 said:
in most cases a short doesnt cause any damage (it can though) so if that is the problem it should be easily fixable. I remember one time I had the exact same problem and I knew it had to be a short so i look inside and it did not appear to be grounded out so i picked up the case with the side panel open and shook the hell out of it...sure enough a drive mount screw fell out from behind the mobo and BAM the computer worked again. :D

cell_491 said:
in most cases a short doesnt cause any damage (it can though) so if that is the problem it should be easily fixable. I remember one time I had the exact same problem and I knew it had to be a short so i look inside and it did not appear to be grounded out so i picked up the case with the side panel open and shook the hell out of it...sure enough a drive mount screw fell out from behind the mobo and BAM the computer worked again. :D

Yikes, with my luck i'd drop it. lol At work today my boss brought in an old Duron system he wanted set up as a file server. After installing Windows and everything, i went to put a USB flash drive in the front of the case, and when i touched the drive to the metal of the USB port, the computer restarted. I touched the drive to the port again, it restarted. Not cool. Later i went to put the side of the case back on while the computer was on, and the comp began restarting over and over again, even when i wasn't touching the case with anything. Sounds like a short to me, but i didn't have time to really figure it out. There's a TON of dust in there that needs to be vacuumed out, but i guess that'll have to wait till tomorrow or Monday. There's nothing important saved on the computer yet, so i'm not in a big hurry.

wait: so everything was working until you plugged in teh HDD?

turn off the power supply and unplug it. let it sit for about 10 mins, and plug it back it. turn it on. for some reason, my computer did this once too wtih a WD800. never could figure out why, but after taht, the drive booted fine...

edit: we have the same power supply :)

cell_491 said:

lol brute force fixes everything :D

Back