• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrade / GTX 285

white_dove

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 15, 2009
Messages
198
I want to upgrade my video card which is GTX 285. The cpu is Intel I7 920, no overclock.
PSU is Corsair TX 650 W. Would my cpu be okay for GTX 580 or something similar ?
What about the PSU ? What would you recommend from ATI, same or better than GTX 580 ?
Thanks in advance.
 
I want to upgrade my video card which is GTX 285. The cpu is Intel I7 920, no overclock.
PSU is Corsair TX 650 W. Would my cpu be okay for GTX 580 or something similar ?
What about the PSU ? What would you recommend from ATI, same or better than GTX 580 ?
Thanks in advance.

Yes, your system will run that 580 just fine. AMD's equivalent would be the 6970 (slightly slower) or the 7950 (faster).

Used 580's are a great bang for the buck GPU right now.
 
I have that same basic setup, i7 920, Corsair HX620. I generally don't run it overclocked, but have a BIOS profile that gives me 3.2, 3.4, 3.6 or 3.8 GHz overclocks if I really think I need it. Stays cooler that way, and uses less power.

I too am upgrading from a GTX 285. I'm going straight for the GTX 680, as soon as I can land an EVGA.
 
Yes, your system will run that 580 just fine. AMD's equivalent would be the 6970 (slightly slower) or the 7950 (faster).

Used 580's are a great bang for the buck GPU right now.

What about HD 7950 and my CPU and PSU ?
Will they be okay for this videocard ??
 
Yeah thats a good psu but 7950 is not a good deal neither is GTX 580. I'd go straight for a GTX 680 if looking to spend that much. And maybe think about Ocing that CPU. Free performance right there.

Some reviewers still use that 4 year old CPU in their GTX 680 reviews. No big deal.
 
Back
Top