Upgrade GPU or get new build?

icymanatee

n00b
So I've had my desktop PC for quite some time and I have been upgrading parts throughout the years. I'm having to play new ly released games on high to medium settings now and I think it's time to either upgrade my GPU to 1080/1080ti or just completely build a new computer. If I upgrade my GPU only, will my CPU bottleneck it? Thoughts?

Current Specs Below:

i7 950 Bloomfield OCed
Asus Sabertooh
12gb RAM
770GTX
Cosair AIO
250gb SSD
3x HDDs for storage
evga 750 psu
2x asus 144hz monitors

If I were to do a new build it would be the below spec:

i7 7700k
Asrock x270 Taichi
eVGA 850
32gb ram
deepcool gamer storm AIO
250gb mva
1080ti or 1080

I mainly game (BF1, CoD, Blizzard Games, LoL, single player RPG games), do Photoshop, and design on MS office stuff.

Don't take my word for it, but my research mostly suggested that my i5 (4440?) won't bottleneck a 1080 (there were minority dissenters).

I think the 950 is getting a bit long in the tooth...If you do a lot of gaming and spend a lot of time working on the computer every day, I'd spend the money to upgrade the whole rig.

I think the 950 is getting a bit long in the tooth...If you do a lot of gaming and spend a lot of time working on the computer every day, I'd spend the money to upgrade the whole rig.

Do you think my proposed purchase build is a bit overkill for my needs or should I just go 1070 and get skylake ?

Don't take my word for it, but my research mostly suggested that my i5 (4440?) won't bottleneck a 1080 (there were minority dissenters).

Thanks! This is good to know. I'll definitely try to research more about it before I make the plunge and go for a new build.

Do you think my proposed purchase build is a bit overkill for my needs or should I just go 1070 and get skylake ?

I'd get the max your budget can afford. Overkill is a factor if you're upgrading every year. It seems like you hold on to your hardware a lot longer than average, so it's worth it to buy the best at the time.

Your CPU will most likely bottleneck a newer GPU, but that doesn't mean that upgrading to a 1070/1080/1080Ti wouldn't allow you to play those games on high/ultra settings. Assuming you're only gaming at 1080P resolution and you're pushing 144 FPS to match your refresh rate. A newer CPU would help, but I don't think your overall gaming experience would be much different.

So just to provide an update, I attempted to do more OCing on the i7 950 this past weekend and while I applying new thermal paste to the cpu, I accidently hit one of the ram slots with my vice grip when attempting to remove my AIO (yeah don't ask lol..). Anyways, my board won't post anymore and I did everything I could to try and see what the problem was with no luck. I ended up ordering the i7 7700K, 32gb ram and decided to go for the asus ROG IX hero instead of the Asrock Taichi.

So just to provide an update, I attempted to do more OCing on the i7 950 this past weekend and while I applying new thermal paste to the cpu, I accidently hit one of the ram slots with my vice grip when attempting to remove my AIO (yeah don't ask lol..). Anyways, my board won't post anymore and I did everything I could to try and see what the problem was with no luck. I ended up ordering the i7 7700K, 32gb ram and decided to go for the asus ROG IX hero instead of the Asrock Taichi.
well, shoot! lol. I was going to invite you to join the 1366 X58 xeon cult

Back