Upgrade from Vista to Win8?

TheArTcher

Limp Gawd
My primary business computer is 5 years old and running Vista. About the only problems I have with it are regular crashes of explorer and media player. I would like to run office 2013 on this machine and continue to use it for at least another 3 years. Office 2013 won't run on Vista, that is the primary reason to upgrade.

I ran the Win8 upgrade tool and it said all of my hardware is compatible. My only other concern is that my 2004 Macromedia software might not run on Win8.

So do you think it is worth the risk and cost (time) to try and update the OS to Win8? I will do a clean install. Can I expect minimal problems? The $40 price to upgrade to Win8 pro is tempting but it is really a small part of the total cost.

You should know:

Computer is HP m8187 multimedia pc w/core2 duo, 5 years old.

I've never updated an OS because it never made sense before.

I have a backup computer I can use if this one goes TU, but I loose access to my HP LP3065 and that's a big deal:D.

I typically use a computer for 8-10 years.

I hate computers. Why? Relentless problems. If cars were as much trouble as computers, everyone would take the bus.

Appreciate any advice,
Artcher

Go for Win8 while its cheap. Make a backup of your Vista install. If you don't like it go back. You could also make a dual-boot of Win8/Vista and try the 120 day evaluation period to make sure all your apps work before you buy.

I have an older Core 2 duo machine and Windows 8 seems much peppier on it than Vista did. I can't speak to your portfolio of Macromedia programs, but I can reassure you that your hardware is not only up to the job but will likely perform better with Windows 8.

That said, Windows 8 is not everyone's cup of tea! Many, such as myself, are perfectly happy with it, others have grudgingly learned to live with it while still others hate it passionately. Mind you, no one really hates the "Windows" aspect of Windows 8, rather they object to the loss of the Start Menu and the addition of Metro. If you live and die by your Start Menu then think carefully before proceeding!

However, beginning with Windows 7 Microsoft began providing ways to reduce your dependency on the Start Menu. For example, in Windows 7 and 8 you can pin programs directly to your taskbar and then right click on them to use "jump lists" to start them while going directly to whatever it was you were working on last. On the other hand, if you decide that you've just got to have a Start Menu third parties are offering substitutes for reasonable prices that seem to work quite well with Windows 8.

I myself have my "dirty dozen" or so core programs pinned to the task bar, another 30 or 40 organized and grouped the way I like on the Metro Start Screen and the rest in that big scramble bin known as "All Apps." Like any other version of Windows, 8 is tremendously flexible and can do quite a bit if you are willing to work with it. Good luck with your upgrade!

My primary business computer is 5 years old and running Vista. About the only problems I have with it are regular crashes of explorer and media player. I would like to run office 2013 on this machine and continue to use it for at least another 3 years. Office 2013 won't run on Vista, that is the primary reason to upgrade.

I ran the Win8 upgrade tool and it said all of my hardware is compatible. My only other concern is that my 2004 Macromedia software might not run on Win8.

So do you think it is worth the risk and cost (time) to try and update the OS to Win8? I will do a clean install. Can I expect minimal problems? The $40 price to upgrade to Win8 pro is tempting but it is really a small part of the total cost.

You should know:

Computer is HP m8187 multimedia pc w/core2 duo, 5 years old.

I've never updated an OS because it never made sense before.

I have a backup computer I can use if this one goes TU, but I loose access to my HP LP3065 and that's a big deal:D.

I typically use a computer for 8-10 years.

I hate computers. Why? Relentless problems. If cars were as much trouble as computers, everyone would take the bus.

Appreciate any advice,
Artcher

Please take note that upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 8 is basically classified as a custom installation. This means you'll have to re-install all your programs in Windows Vista and if possible use updated installers.

Please take note that upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 8 is basically classified as a custom installation. This means you'll have to re-install all your programs in Windows Vista and if possible use updated installers.

Not sure what you mean by "updated installers", could you explain? The only software I'm concerned about is my 2004 Macromedia Studio MX. Since Adobe bought Macromedia, the only update to that is the Creative Suite available at a monopolistic price. I don't know of installers available separately.

Back