upgrade from p5b?

snefan

Limp Gawd
so im thinking of getting a new mobo to get some better OC ability, but is it worth it ATM? any new stuff (sockets, yada yada...) coming out Soon™?

Brand new Intel architecture coming out next month, switching to LGA1366 and then there will likely be another socket for mainstream. Last chipsets for socket 775 came out this summer (4 series chips).

Soon? Next month is Core i7 and X58. Mainstream CPU will likely be marked up to $350-400ish and the X58 motherboards are likely $200-300. Then factor in triple channel DDR3 cost. :droooool: but $$$.

But if your looking at a low cost tweak to your system now. You're already at 3.05GHz on your Core2, that's plenty fast for gaming, more CPU cycles aren't going to benefit you much if at all in gaming. I assume you recently picked up that 4850, maybe a second one for Crossfire, the P5B or at least some variants of it supported Crossfire I think. As long as it's got 2 x16 slots, I think the P965 runs a x16/x4 split for Crossfire.

If gaming isn't your goal, and something like database or encoding speed is, you would possibly get more out of an upgrade to quad core.

Back