Upgrade from Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

HiryuuX

Limp Gawd
Kind of getting the upgrade itch for my old old Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers. I think I've had them for nearly a decade, just wondering what are worthwhile upgrades nowadays (budget around $200? can flex a bit if it's worth it). Would like to keep a similar form factor - appreciate any input!

Increase your budget to $300-$400 and get some entry level studio monitors. 6-inch speakers I think are the best balance between size and sound. 8-inch are better, but you need a BIG desk. I've had the Klipsch a long time ago, and they are hard to beat, given the form factor, price and acceptable sound quality. If you're willing to give up the form factor and go with monitors, it's hard to ever go back.

Doubtful that you'll swing a set of six inch studio monitors for $200. That's more in line with the price per speaker.

I hate to recommend equipment I've never listened to, but I've read good things about the Rockville, Edifier and Swan sets.

If you can stretch your budget a bit further, well I'll just quote myself from another thread:
If you're looking for powered monitors, take a look at the JBL 305p. These are the updated version of the LSR305, which has been the go to budget desktop solution for several years now.

Going that route you'll want to get your DAC outside of your case, they're sensitive to sources. You can get a decent optical DAC for around $100 these days, or a prosumer audio interface like the Behringer UMC204HD for $80. Figure another $20 to get the cables you need.

We haven't heard much from Roflcopter_Down since he picked up his set. Either he's happy, or completely pissed off.

Dunno when Massdrop's JBL LSR30X (LSR305) pair is coming back, but they were US$179 IIRC and unbeatable for the purpose in that price range.

Increase your budget to $300-$400 and get some entry level studio monitors. 6-inch speakers I think are the best balance between size and sound. 8-inch are better, but you need a BIG desk. I've had the Klipsch a long time ago, and they are hard to beat, given the form factor, price and acceptable sound quality. If you're willing to give up the form factor and go with monitors, it's hard to ever go back.

Yeah, Klipsch Promedia 2.1 are pretty hard to beat for the price. :)

Any particular recommendations? I'll look into 6 inch studios.

Thanks

I personally have entry level KRK 6in. There's better monitors out there with less reported issues for about the same price, or just a little bit more. If you can get to around $400/pair, it opens the door for a lot of options. I haven't had any of the common crackling issues during my ownership(4 years), so I might just be lucky.

Vote for Rockville monitors .I have their 8" monitors. Maybe a bit too much power for you,, but for me there is no such thing. They also have some 5" versions.
20171205_170355_HDR.jpg

if you have the room used / vintage stereo gear is the way to go. here is my set up(s)

1. Kenwood KR-V106R (100WPC) > JBL L1 6" 2ways (reciever $20, speakers $40)
2. Sony TA-N77ES/ TA-E77ESD (various other ES components (all for $75 (very very good deal) speakers Yamaha NS-344 10" 3 ways) $50

tan77es_ns344_2.jpg

kenwood.jpg

The speakers are your weak link, I suggest upgrading them. If you want affordable try the Elac Debut B6 for example.

The sq difference between small satellites and real monitors is worth the extra money. Buy used if you can but take your time and get something good. The midrange improvement is so worth it.

Back