Upgrade from HD4870 1GB

Hi All,

Been using a Sapphire HD4870 1GB for awhile now. Wanted to know if it makes sense to go for an HD 6850 and which brand would be worthwhile?
I'm not tied to an AMD/ATI option so suggestions for Team Green are welcome too :).

Restrictions:

1. Must fit into the case in my sig (SUGO SG02F).

2. I game at 1440x900 (not going to change anytime soon).

3. I play: TF2, Metro 2033, SC2, BFBC2 and Black Ops. Right now only TF2 and SC2 run maxed out at a decent FPS. Looking to play Deus Ex 3 and Dragon Age 2 (if Bioware don't mess it up) when they're out early next year.

Rig in sig.

at 1440x900 and with your current cpu there is no reason to get a faster gpu. in most of the games you listed you are already being limited by your cpu even with the 4870. in games Dragon age you would not even see a single fps improvement.

and really having a 4870 at just 1440x900 is just as much power as having a gtx580 at 1920x1200 so what on earth do you need more gpu power for anyway? and again your cpu will be the culprit in nearly all cases where you are not happy at just 1440x900 while using a 4870.

Last edited:
at 1440x900 and with your current cpu there is no reason to get a faster gpu. in most of the games you listed you are already being limited by your cpu even with the 4870. in games Dragon age you would not even see a single fps improvement.

and really having a 4870 at just 1440x900 is just as much power as having a gtx580 at 1920x1200 so what on earth do you need more gpu power for anyway? and again your cpu will be the culprit in nearly all cases where you are not happy at just 1440x900 while using a 4870.
+1
Is your chip overclocked OP?

I'm in a similar boat.

I'm going to build myself a new rig when the new lineup of CPU's are released and give this machine to my wife as a hand me down. I've been thinking over the past couple weeks about what i could do to give her the best performance with little money put into it.

So far i've picked up that my CPU will limit most GPU upgrades. This being said, it's almost to the point I should let her use this rig until she starts to complain about performance. She primarily plays WC3, Wow, Sims3 and PvZ so unless she picks up a newer game should buy me enough time to hand her down the new rig.

Anyone agree with me or have some cost effective upgrades i could do?

Same card, similar specs.
Waiting on the 6970 so I can see which is the next step to take. The 6870/6850 is nice, but they don't really feel like the "next" generation, based on their performance.

The 69xx might be a price bracket higher, but I hope they will provide more longetivity.

Back