Upgrade from HAF 912

GhengisKhan

Supreme [H]ardness
I've loved my HAF 912 for the past few years, but it's time for an upgrade. I would like something with a little bit more room above the motherboard and more importantly behind it. Even after a bunch of work at cable management, I still can't get the back cover on. I was able to make it work (barely) before adding another HDD. I had to run another cord from the PSU and it just won't stay closed anymore. I would like one with either more room behind the motherboard, or disk bays that run front to back so I can run the cables either behind the front panel or on the inside.
I run air cooling so more room behind the panel would be ideal.
Also, I'm working on a pretty tight budget, so under $100 would be great. I don't need RGB lighting or even a window on the side (I can cut my own window).
Added bonus if it can be had at Microcenter.

Thanks for the recommendations. I've been looking at a bunch of cases, but haven't seen any way to tell how much space there is behind the tray. Both of the cases you linked have a width of about 8", and I've been looking at ones with a similar size. I know they mostly make aluminum cases, and this one is steel, but I've heard a lot of great things about Lian Li over the years.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/468563/PC-K5WX_Steel_Windowed_ATX_Mid-Tower_Case_-_Black
Added bonus is the price. I'm leaning towards this one. Do you think Microcenter would mind if I went in with a tape measure and started pulling off side panels?

*Edit*
After reading a few reviews I don't think the Lian Li case will work, apparently it is pretty small to squeeze a full size ATX board into.

Last edited:
your best bet would be to sneak into Microcenter and see what the cases have for behind mobo room in person ;-)

Back