• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

upgrade from an ati HD4670?

rage4order

Gawd
Joined
Oct 4, 2004
Messages
795
I'm in the market for a new video card. Not necessarily a huge upgrade, but something a step up from my current one. Reason is, my daughter's computer has trouble playing video from our Direct TV DVR. I've swapped my card(the one in my sig) with hers and it plays fine, so I figure I may as well get myself a new gpu and put mine into her pc. Any suggestions? As I said, it doesn't have to play all the latest games. I just figure something equal to or better than what I have now. Maybe something from the 5000 series?
 
Well a 4670 = HD3850 and I went from an HD3870 back in 2008 to a GTS250. Id say a GTS450 or HD5770 depending on how much you want to spend. The GTS450 I've seen as low as 80 and the 5770 around 110. It depends on what you want to spend. But my Jump from HD3870 to GTS250 netted me about a 70% gain in the games I played like Crysis and COD4, not so much in WoW lo.
 
How is a HD5570 compared to what I have now? I'm trying to keep the price around $70-80. I really don't do any gaming, but I have my pc hooked up to my TV and watch Blu Ray and HD videos thru it.
Also, is a PCIe 2.1 backwards compatible? I'm not exactly sure what video cards are compatible with my mobo. I know it's an X16 but don't know if it's 2.0 or 2.1.
 
You'll have to go for a 5750 at least before you start pulling away from that 4670.
 
a 5750 should net you about double the performance of the 4670. If you can find one used for a good price, it'll be nice upgrade. If you wish to go newer and get a bigger bump in performance a 6850 is a very nice card for the money.
 
Back
Top