• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrade from 9800GT???

erf

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 13, 2005
Messages
1,848
I just built my new rig a couple of weekends ago and though I'm very satisfied with it's overall performance I'm totally itching to upgrade my video card.

I've checked out some benchmarks and in all honesty I'm kind of stumped as to what I should upgrade to. I'll be gaming on either my 19" Samsung at 1280x1024 or my LG 32" LCD at 1024x768.

I'm hoping to sell parts from my old comp...X2 4200, 160gb HDD, my 9800gt and 2 sticks of OCZ PC3200, and my Antec True Power 430. Supposing I get $200 for all of the above that will be my budget.

Any suggestions??? I'm somewhat partial to Nvidia but I'm willing to give ATI a go especially being that my system is AMD.

Thanks in advance!!!
 
I would suggest selling one or both of those monitors and getting something with a decent widescreen resolution. this is 2010 and resolutions like 1280x1024 and 1024x768 are ridiculously low to be playing games at with a modern gaming computer. if you are going to stick to 1280 and below then a 9800gt is sufficient and you should wait until there is a reason(like DX11) to upgrade.
 
agreed - at those resolutions you'll be gaining nothing noticeable upgrading from the 9800GT.
 
Yeah, the 9800GT is no slouch, even at 1080p resolutions. Of course, it depends on what games you play but again, many of them will perform just fine.
 
agreed - at those resolutions you'll be gaining nothing noticeable upgrading from the 9800GT.

9800GT is no sloutch but if you want average 60fps w/ AA(which you will want with a 19') for demanding games, you're gonna want something more than a 9800GT even on 1280x1024.

+1 for cannondales suggestion for a bigger monitor.
I used to game on a 19" 1280x1024 for a long time but don't look back ever since I got meself a 24" 1920x1200. The 19' 1280 works great for a 2nd display for chat windows and whatnot.
 
Back
Top