Upgrade from 4790k and future proofing

Nirad9er

2[H]4U
So I've had my current rig in Sig for a few years now. It's been great for gaming which is my primary use however I was thinking about my future upgrade path to maybe a 6/8 core CPU. I believe the x99 dies with Haswell e and gets replaced by Skylake X in 2017. I don't know if the current Z170 chipset would ever get more than 4 cores and doesn't that end with Kaby lake anyway so no upgrade path there.

If I wanted to upgrade, would it make more sense to upgrade to Skylake E next year (LGA2066 which may not get replaced until 2020) I'd also consider Zen if it proves to be a good performer when summit ridge is released.

Let me know your thoughts on the best upgrade path considering more than 4 cores and future proofing.

Thanks

I think 4 cores is where it will stay for a LONG time. Based off leaked specs of Scorpio and the current specs of the PS4 Pro, most games will be optimized for 4 cores until we see consoles change to more cores.

It's not worth it at this juncture on unless you do encoding/simulation work (or something that can utilize more than 4c/8t.

If gaming is all your after, a [email protected] is not going to be beat by anything you can buy off the shelf - heck, even a 6700k running at full turbo is going to be slower.

I know those feels about wanting to upgrade - I have had my 4770k since summer of 12', and it seems like a good time to upgrade. I picked up/upgraded to two used 6 core systems (see sig), and they are fun to play with and come in handy when I do data crunching stuff for work. For games though, it is almost always on the 4770k.

You should be set for a long while unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket.

I am still on i7-2600k and still kicking for game/general use... I do also have a dual e5-2670 rig for computing, Unless you need multithread computation, no need to upgrade

I'm in the same boat as the OP. Tho my current rig (sig) handles everything I throw at it especially games, I've been mulling over the idea of an upgrade. Few titles are just starting to use more cores, so anything beyond 4c/8t is a waste. As other mentioned it isn't a wise decision to upgrade atm.

My situation might change tho since I'm in the middle of a lawsuit.

4770k here. No reason to upgrade. Most benchmarks are showing a 10%ish increase to broadwell-e and skylake. I'm going to wait a while.

I know those feels about wanting to upgrade - I have had my 4770k since summer of 12', and it seems like a good time to upgrade. I picked up/upgraded to two used 6 core systems (see sig), and they are fun to play with and come in handy when I do data crunching stuff for work. For games though, it is almost always on the 4770k.

You should be set for a long while unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket.

Impressive! Had a 4770K for a year before it was released? :p

I bought my 4770K day one (I was running a Q6600 still at that time, only retired that rig a year ago, but that's another story) and can't believe it's been a little over 3 years since then. I think that the mind set of upgrading every 2-3 years for processors is showing it's age as well, as even the old SB chips can still get within spitting distance of the newest chips in most gaming scenarios. Save the money, blow it on GPU's or hookers & blow.

Back