Upgrade from 1TB 840 EVO?

Blackstone

2[H]4U
I have a Samsung 840 EVO at 1TB capacity.

My cpu is a Haswell-E 6 core processor and my board supports all kinds of drives including m.2 or whatever.

Is there a drive out there that is worth upgrading to just for performance? Have the drives improved noticeably since the 840 evo?

Tru dat. Unless you want to go with an M2 drive just for the OS and use the 1TB EVO as your storage. Boot times will increase with the M2 along with winders, but everything else will remain the same.

For my previous Sager notebook build, back in 2011, I went with 2 Samsung 840 evo 1TB drives. 1 for my boot drive and the other for storage. I never had a single regret. Both drives were of large capacity and extremely fast; I loved them, and still do. Things have changed considerably in the SSD market since that time, so for my most recent Sager notebook build, that I just completed 2 weeks ago or so, I decided to take advantage of the new NVMe drives that utilize the M.2 form factor with PCIe x4 bandwidth. I went with the Samsung 950 pro NVMe 512gb drive for my boot drive and used the 2 840 evo drives in a spanned configuration for my storage drives. Below are crystaldiskmark benchmark scores comparing the speed of each drive. I think the numbers speak for themselves.

Samsung 840 Evo 1TB/1TB Span
10fu7w6.png

Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 512GB
4vsaj9.png

Back