• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrade for Modern Warfare 2

Mocs123

n00b
Joined
Jul 14, 2009
Messages
13
I am wanting a to upgrade my computer to play Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer. I am reusing my case, keyboard, mouse, os (windows 7), DVD (IDE), HDD (IDE), monitor, headset. I am using a Ultra X-connect 500watt psu (+5V@30A, +12V@34A, +3.3V@28A, -5V@0.3A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@2A) and would like to reuse that if possible.
I will be playing at 1680*1050
What do you think of this build?


AMD Athlon II X3 435 Rana 2.9GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core CPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103724
ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157176
OCZ Gold Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel Kit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227346
POWERCOLOR AX5770 1GBD5-PPG Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131327
LOGISYS AD01 20-pin Male To 24-pin Female Power Adapter Cable
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._pin_to_24_pin_adapter-_-12-887-007-_-Product
COOLER MASTER SAF-B83-E1 80mm Case Fan - (I had one case fan go out on my CM Stacker case)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999070



How easy would this be to OC and how high could I easily and safely go if I added something like this:

XIGMATEK HDT-SD964 92mm Rifle CPU Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._re=Xigmatek_HDT-SD964-_-35-233-014-_-Product
 
Last edited:
That build is $391 before taxes and shipping. I would like to spend as little as possible $500 limit, but $400 is much better.
 
I will suggest the following then.

Athlon2 x3 435 to x2 245
COD MW2 doesn't care about multi-core cpus that much.

Asrock 770 to Gigabyte 770T
Gigabyte board is one of the best AM3 overclocking boards.

OCZ RAM to G.Skill DDR3 1600 Ripjaw Memory
This will give much better overclock than those OCZ 1066

Powercolor 5770 to HIS H577FM1GD $10 off with promo code VGA181
Saves you $10 ontill friday

you don't need that ATX power adapter.

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU Cooler - Retail $30

best heatsink at that price point.
 
I had that xigmatek cooler you listed, the thing totally rocked, kept my X2 5000 BE OC'd to 3 GHz at 32C idle, 42C full load. It is IMO the best bang for the buck, and smaller than it's larger sibling, the 120mm version.

The rest looks fine to me, also.

Note that if you have the same Ultra X-connect 500w I have (using in an old PC build currently), that is not the most reliable supply out there, and has a tendency to burst into flames and take components with it. Mine is still running strong after 5 years, but most people have a different story for that supply.

And mention that Ultra PSU in the PSU section of the forums and you will be told to throw it in the garbage can and run screaming from your house before it explodes taking your family with it.
 
I forget which Ultra models are actually worth keeping and which are trash; probably because more models are trash than worth keeping, lol. Anyhow, I'd definitely replace that PSU if its over 3yrs old -- PSU's don't last forever. If it's still on sale for $65 After promo code, get the EA650... in addition to shiro's suggestions.
 
Back
Top