• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrade for i7-860 CPU

Vindicis

n00b
Joined
Sep 16, 2005
Messages
62
Is it worth upgrading from my existing 860 to either an i7-870 or i7-875k ($229 vs $299)? Doesn't seem like a lot of bang for the buck to upgrade but I'm getting restless for another upgrade. I suppose another possibility is to upgrade my cooler and overclock my existing 860 but I'm curious on my options with a new processor.
 
Is it worth upgrading from my existing 860 to either an i7-870 or i7-875k ($229 vs $299)? Doesn't seem like a lot of bang for the buck to upgrade but I'm getting restless for another upgrade. I suppose another possibility is to upgrade my cooler and overclock my existing 860 but I'm curious on my options with a new processor.

Only if you can sell your existing i7-860 CPU for close to what the new CPU "upgrade" costs. Otherwise, stick with your current i7-860 since the other higher CPUs would then become a near-total waste of money.

And the i7-875K is not worth the $299 because you'll need to purchase an aftermarket HSF with that CPU (none of the Intel K-series CPUs have any HSF whatsoever). This will make the true cost of the i7-875K $329 (with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus HSF), not $299. That would be much too high for the performance benefit unless you intend to overclock with relatively crappy memory installed.
 
Last edited:
No, its not, the 870 is just an overclocked 860 and there is no benefit whatsoever, you can just overclock your 860 instead.
 
I've been thinking about moving from my 860 to an 875k. Really just because I like getting new hardware :D My other option I've been weighing around in my head, is selling my setup (860 on a Maximus III Formula) and getting a 950 and nice board.
 
I've been thinking about moving from my 860 to an 875k. Really just because I like getting new hardware :D My other option I've been weighing around in my head, is selling my setup (860 on a Maximus III Formula) and getting a 950 and nice board.

If you are going to upgrade from an i5/i7 then just wait for Sandy Bridge - why move to just a higher grade of the same chip when you can get a new architecture in 2 months.
 
If you are going to upgrade from an i5/i7 then just wait for Sandy Bridge - why move to just a higher grade of the same chip when you can get a new architecture in 2 months.

Just because I like getting new hardware :D

Before I had this i7 860 on my Maximus III Formula, I had a i7 930 on a Gigabyte EX58-Extreme, I just wanted to try something new. I have a really bad habit of changing computer parts when I don't need to :(
 
What you will gain from moving up to the 875K:

Usually the unlocked mult. makes your final OC a little bit higher, so you may hit 4.3GHz on air, vs. maybe 4GHz on your 860? Does that increase in performance justify the cost and work necessary for at least 100MHz and at most 500MHz?

To me, not at all, the time and money would be better spent on a cooler. Which one do you have currently?

Something like an H50 or a high end air cooler would be my recommendation to you.

HardOCP Performance Testing on Corsair A70http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/10/21/corsair_a70_highperformance_cpu_cooler_review/3
Corsair A70 $48 FS/Prime: http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Air-Performance-Cooler-CAFA70/dp/B003IT6RE8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1290045272&sr=8-2

HardOCP Performance Testing Corsair H70(H50 Included)http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/09/28/corsair_h70_water_cooler_performance_testing/3
Corsair H50 and H70 $78 and $105 @ Amazonhttp://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=h50&x=0&y=0
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ha, funny you should mention that suggestion....I just posted here http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1562454 asking for advice on a new cooler. Right now I just have a stock cooler, so I'm definitely going to abandon the idea of a CPU upgrade and just get a nice cooler and OC for now. I hadn't considered the A70, I'll have to check into that one.
 
Back
Top