Upgrade for a watercooled 295GTX?

havok735

n00b
So, I am currently running a watercooled EVGA 295GTX and trying to decide if it is worth upgrading. I game at 2650x1600 and the card seems to do well for everything I am playing (including Deus Ex), but I don't know how much I am missing out on with DirectX 11. Are the effects much better with DirectX 11 and what would really be a good upgrade from the 295GTX?

Honestly, there aren't too many games out there running with DX 11 support and even fewer that take full advantage of all the features 11 has to offer. Check out the wiki (probably not a complete list)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_11_support

If it was me, I'd wait until you have to start turning things off to get playable frame rates before plunking another $400-500 down on a new GPU. However, if you absolutely have to have something DX11 compliant, I'd look at a 570 or higher, depending on how deep your pockets are.

. However, if you absolutely have to have something DX11 compliant, I'd look at a 570 or higher, depending on how deep your pockets are.

I agree only with this from the previous poster. I upgraded from 275s in SLI, which were essentially an OC 295 to a 590. Obviously not everyone can do that, so I'd agree with a 570 or 580 with the possibility of adding another card later for SLI if you want. There are going to be more and more games DX 11 compliant, so it makes sense to have the hardware for them. Being DX 11 compliant was a big factor for me upgrading.

I agree only with this from the previous poster. I upgraded from 275s in SLI, which were essentially an OC 295 to a 590. Obviously not everyone can do that, so I'd agree with a 570 or 580 with the possibility of adding another card later for SLI if you want. There are going to be more and more games DX 11 compliant, so it makes sense to have the hardware for them. Being DX 11 compliant was a big factor for me upgrading.

Did you see much of a difference when moving up to the 590? I was looking at either that or two 580s in SLI. That option gets made even more expensive after you factor in the cost of adding waterblocks to those though.

Did you see much of a difference when moving up to the 590? I was looking at either that or two 580s in SLI. That option gets made even more expensive after you factor in the cost of adding waterblocks to those though.

Heck ya...well it has really made a difference since I have my 590 cores running at 750 clock speeds, so they are basically 580s.

Back