Upgrade for 3D

ritch1

Weaksauce
I tried out 3D vision 2 to see if it would take and am finding I pretty much love it and will continue using. Problem is my GTX580 doesn’t cut it with the required 120 fps at 1920x1080. So am looking to upgrade but not go crazy, not into SLI or anything that advanced, so single card solution required. I want to upgrade just enough to be able to play 3D on my benq X2720t. I’m a bit out of whack with the new range, would the 780 be over kill? My budget is around £400 if needed. Thanks for any advice.

Depends really on the eyecandy level. 780 (especially those OCed versions) should be enough, and your budget, judging from Overclockers UK prices (and that's only British shop I know about) is exactly for something like 780 Phantom, Classified or Ghz Edition.

It also depends on the eye-candy that you turn on, so... Get the 780, it wouldn't be an overkill, no way near it...

well eye candy wise I'm not looking to set the world alight but would like the 1920x1080 and fairly decent texture detail, think i'm most concerned with keeping the frame rate up for the 3D and for the graphics to be at least average. thanks for the help, I will look into the 780.

It's nice but not many games support it.

Sadly BF4 doesn't support it and I have a feeling it has something to do with their AMD partnership.

It gets old after a while since it is so dim when in 3d Mode.

Source: I've owned an Asus VG278 for 1/2 year.

The Lightboost monitors help that a lot. But I find I sometimes get headaches if I use it too long....

yeah getting into 3D wasn't a decision I took lightly, there was a lot of messing around but once I found the settings I liked I found the immersion factor worth the short falls, the difference between being in a game and watching it. The lightboost helps a lot with the darkness. my main compliant is the ghosting and flicker at 60hz but I have found guides that helped reduce it a bit (the effects anyway). the good thing about it is the glasses were not that expensive and I wanted the higher refresh monitor anyway, so the 3D could be seen as an afterthought.

Its a shame 3D hasn't taken off a bit more really, I can understand why people wouldn't take to it but you would think there enough interest to keep it afloat, the 3D vision 2 kit works really well but I suppose the required fiddling around puts people off as well.

Games wise I'm finding a lot of titles playable with the help of mods. I'm currently getting back into Oblivion, 3D has given it a new lease of life, cant wait to try Fallout 3 and Skyrim. That alone is worth the cost for me. My hope is that they will continue developing it so that in a few years we can expect better refresh rates etc.

edit: - re headaches I was getting bad eye strain at first and didn't think I could use it for long, was almost a deal breaker but I was amazed at how quickly my eyes adjusted, after a few days I was fine and it was almost like playing 2D, but this was starting at lower settings, my brain couldn't handle much depth at first lol, but once able to increase depth/convergence I was sold, wow :cool:

Last edited:
Yeah I can understand that. I had to make a lot of concessions to get it working to my liking, one of the biggest things was sitting position in terms of headaches, changing the whole work area. Further back and my eyes were not so strained, but it is a hassle getting all the settings right.

I think I only bothered because I just go for the effect. I think the ghosting and 60hz really plays a big part in the headaches as well, if they can sort that out in the future people will find 3D a lot more accessible and less straining on eyes, you basically got four images to deal with when its bad. I’m kind of resigned to the fact that to have this effect I have to try ignore the ghosting, on some games it can strain and be very distracting, others its ok. So yeah, its defiantly not plain sailing, I just have to stick Fallout 3 on in 3D to remind myself why I have set this system up.

Last edited:
I tried out 3D vision 2 to see if it would take and am finding I pretty much love it and will continue using. Problem is my GTX580 doesn’t cut it with the required 120 fps at 1920x1080. So am looking to upgrade but not go crazy, not into SLI or anything that advanced, so single card solution required. I want to upgrade just enough to be able to play 3D on my benq X2720t. I’m a bit out of whack with the new range, would the 780 be over kill? My budget is around £400 if needed. Thanks for any advice.
Finally a person here who wants to do 3D. My suggestion is that you need an SLi setup to run it properly in the games that matter the most.

The minimum requirement would be a GTX 670/770/680 in SLi. SLi works really well and provides the right amount of horsepower to run 3D. If you want more then a GTX 780 SLi setup is the best bang for buck.

However, do note that 3D works only in some games and not in others. This year the games that made a huge difference whilst playing in 3D include:
a) Tomb Raider
b) Metro Last Light
c) Crysis 3
d) Remember Me
e) StarCraft 2

... and some others that I can't remember right now. However, my beef is that with newest games 3D is not supported yet (e.g., Ass Creed 4, BF4, NFS Rivals, SC Blacklist etc). This is pissing me off a bit.

I wouldn't recommend anything less than a GTX 670 SLi setup to be honest. You can snatch those on the forums for 200 bucks a pop.

yeah it seems rare for people to actually want to do this lol. I didn't really want to go SLI but if that is better for 3D I would definitely consider it.

To be honest I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of games that run in 3D with the help of Helix mods. Its such a shame that its not more popular though and the big companies don't see 3D as necessary. Rally hope it doesn't fade away and the tech will advance,

I'll try those games out, I checked out the first Metro game and was stunned by the 3D, it just didn't run LOL..

Yeah, Tomb Raider is insane in 3d. That is the most impressive thing that I've ever seen in a game.

Just beware. 3DVison is dead technology.

Nvidia doesn't support it for shit. It's quite the joke. For most games, it doesn't work. For a few, it works only if you can apply a mod made by this one guy on the internet, 'Helix'.

A couple years ago it was a somewhat different story, but Nvidia clearly stopped caring. It announced 3DVision 2 and then....only one 3DV2 monitor was ever produced. And in terms of games it's been nothing but a backslide. Metro ran great in 3D; the sequel doesn't. Earlier AC games worked with it; AC IV has no 3D support. And so on.

It's a dead tech; Oculus points to the future.

Yeah, ok.

Nvidia themselves never went out of their way to support 3d vision via drivers.

If earlier AC games worked with it why do they need helix mod to fix things up.

Also, both Asus and Benq have several 3d vision 2 displays. Acer also has one.

Occulus looks more like a dead end to me. When is that consumer release coming? No one noes for sure. Thats after another developer release while they look for more investors.

From the looks of things both Valve and Nvidia themselves are looking into vr headsets. That rift team better hurry up if they want some marketshare.

If anything the market is losing interest in 3d. Thats why developers are losing interest. How many people own or care about 3dtvs? Sadly most people haven't seen proper 3d in a game which can look amazing.

Why would Nvidia give up on the major hook that they can use to hold onto customers? They're also adding to it with gsync.

You can claim whatever you want, doesn't make it true.

3D is not dead. Also see helix mods. I don't give a shite about what I need to do to make it run but when it does run it is fantastic. There are so many games that do work with 3D using Helix mods. Investing in a monitor is a no brainer for an enthusiast. It is definitely better in immersion than stupid surround gaming with its bezels and stretched views.

Yes, I have tried both and yes, I would rather take pains of using 3D than Surround. I doubt nV will not support it in the future. As for 3DTVs you would be surprised by the adoption rate due to the fact that bluray 3D is now commonplace.

3D is not dead. Also see helix mods. I don't give a shite about what I need to do to make it run but when it does run it is fantastic. There are so many games that do work with 3D using Helix mods. Investing in a monitor is a no brainer for an enthusiast. It is definitely better in immersion than stupid surround gaming with its bezels and stretched views.

Yes, I have tried both and yes, I would rather take pains of using 3D than Surround. I doubt nV will not support it in the future. As for 3DTVs you would be surprised by the adoption rate due to the fact that bluray 3D is now commonplace.

Yeah, I never saw the appeal of eyefinity. I am liking those new 21:9 displays though. Thats about as wide as I would want to get.

Back