Upgrade ESXi host using .ISO and command line?

WoodiE

Limp Gawd
I have a Dell ESXi 5.1 host that I'd like to upgrade to 5.5 using the Dell VMware ESXi customized .ISO downloaded from Dell.com

I'm familiar with upgrading a host using the .zip bundle running a command such as:

Code:
esxcli software profile update -d /vmfs/volumes/local_datastore/VMware-ESXi-5.5.0-1331820-depot.zip -p ESXi-5.5.0-1331820-standard

However I'm not able to find a Dell ESXi 5.5 .ZIP bundle, only the .ISO format.

Is there a way I can upload this .ISO image to the local storage of the host and update it via command line?

Yeah I seen that PDF but it doesn't mention anything similar to the command I've posted above. It seems there isn't a way to perform a similar command as above using an ISO image.

Can you access the console using DRAC, mount the ISO then upgrade? Perhaps turn the ISO into a zip, the try.

Using the DRAC and mounting the ISO as a virtual drive isn't using command line. ;)

The contents of the ISO image and other zip bundles are completely different, it's not just a process of just changing the file format.

Pretty Sure that the ISO can only be upgraded via VUM which pulls out all the vibs and makes a complation to do the upgrade appropriately or via DRAC/DVD Mountable. If i recall there is no command line to do the upgrade via an ISO in the esxcli command line.

The ESXCLI is made for the offline depots and offline vib files.

You could extract and try to update manually but it would be tedious, the closest you would get with a command based option with an ISO would be deploying via PowerCLI through AutoDeploy.

Why the desire for installing via command line and not VUM?

Prefer VUM and had used VUM for other hosts. This particular evening I was trying to update hosts on another network than the VUM Server and was looking for another alternative while a firewall change request was being submitted.

Ultimately had to wait for the firewall change and now we're good to go.

Sorry this ended up being a pain for you but glad you got it all figured it out.

Back