Upgrade CPU in 2016, Skylake-E or Cannonlake?

Marcdaddy

2[H]4U
What do you guys thing for next year, Skylake refresh or Cannonlake? I know there is not much info out there and im still gaming fine on my 2600K @ 4800Mhhz but next year ill upgrade no matter what these cpus shake out to be like.

Intel is breaking its tick-tock routine by adding another tock called Kaby Lake for 2016. Cannonlake is delayed until 2017.

Hmm, kind of bummed out. Maybe I'll just upgrade now to a 5820k and have fun with that until Cannonlake.

2600K at 4.8GHz? Forget upgrading unless you need 6-core or want a new shiny.

How about Zen? The 8-core version should be better than your current Sandy and much more affordable than the Intel equivalent, unless AMD somehow manages to screw up the pricing once again.

How about Zen? The 8-core version should be better than your current Sandy and much more affordable than the Intel equivalent, unless AMD somehow manages to screw up the pricing once again.

Zen doesn't exist until normal people can buy it and see how it performs. Until then, its just another Bulldozer.

The 8-core version should be better than your current Sandy

We do not know that yet. It is possible that Zen will have the IPC of Sandy but I would expect stock clocks to be lower than Sandy in the 8 core / 16 threaded processor if the 95W TDP rumor is true.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat myself. My 2700k does 4800Mhz, but runs cooler / sips energy at 4600. Only real upgrade I believe will be a 6 core chip, so I'll probably be waiting for Skylake-E

Back