• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Upgrade considersations

masterosok

Gawd
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
969
I have been considering upgrading my video card for several months now... primarily holding off until the 300 series was released. Now with the release and the knowledge of the cards basically being re-branded 200 series cards what is the best bang for your buck option. It seems that if you already have a 200 series card there isn't much value to be had my upgrading to the 300 series cards but what if you are coming from a 7950?

I currently only play games at 1080p and do not plan to move to 4K anytime soon.

From what I see the 970 is the best card for 1080p performance at the 300ish price point. Is there any other option that is a better value currently?

I am currently using the hardware in my signature.
 
You should be able to find a TON of 970 GTX cards on ebay for under 300.00 now since a lot of people upgraded to 980ti. I just upgraded 20 minutes ago.
 
Personally i think the R9 390 and the 970GTX are in the same performance and price area. Coming from a 7950 is a worthy upgrade for either one IMO
 
Personally i think the R9 390 and the 970GTX are in the same performance and price area. Coming from a 7950 is a worthy upgrade for either one IMO

I agree. I would probably take the 970, just my .02
 
Pricing wise...flip a coin (just using msi as an example)
Capture_zpsn9vj1j5i.png
[/URL][/IMG]
I would probably go with the 390 for my own needs...but yea can't really argue one is any better than the other
 
I would go with the 390 over the 970, but as you can see everyone has their own preference. Either one will be a great upgrade.
 
Although I've been flying with NVIDIA cards, I would have to suggest the 390 in this case. Or if you don't need the 8GB VRAM, I would suggest even the 290 or 290x, I'm almost certain someone will come in with a BIOS flash for them to upgrade to the more optimized 390/x efficiency.

Side note The coolers/shrouds on the 390/x are massive!
 
Used 970's are going for $275.00 now. But if you're buying new, the R9 390 seems like the better option. You'll never have to worry about VRAM. :)
 
Even though you use a 1080p monitor don't forget you can use VSR/DSR to that higher resolution look. With my 290 1800p made a huge difference on my 1080p monitor that SSAA nor MSAA ever did. So don't get too hung up on 1080p benches.
 
Back
Top