• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

upgrade advice

davegl1234

Weaksauce
Joined
Aug 14, 2010
Messages
75
Hi, my pc is ageing a bit, and am contemplating an upgrade. I was just looking for some advice of what you reckon the best option would be out of a few options that would fit my budget.

Current system
i7 2700k @4.6
8 GB ram
nvidia 580 SLI
dell 2709 1200p ips

1) nvidia 980 SLI + asus rog swift
2) nvidia 980 SLI + new i7 (4xxx/5xxx) cpu/motherboard/ 16gb RAM
3) single nvidia 980 + asus rog swift + new i7 (4xxx/5xxx) cpu/motherboard/16gb RAM

I'm thinking option 1 would have the most impact right now, with upgrading the cpu and motherboard coming later on. What would you guys do? I would rather stick to intel and nvidia, but could change my mind. From what I can gather, the sandy bridge cpu's aren't significantly worse that the current intel cpus, so I should stick with the cpu I've got for the time being perhaps, and take the significant gains in graphics and monitor. I'm hoping that the i7 2700k wouldn't bottleneck the graphics cards too severely? Ditto for pci-e @x8?
 
I would think that one 980 or even one 970 would be sufficient to max out your Dell 2709 which is 1920x1200. I would think that performance wise from dual 580 gtx to one 970 would be a huge bump in fps.

So take for example this comparison of 770gtx (which was a slightly higher clocked 680gtx vs a 980)
http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1064?vs=1351

The 580 was more like a 670 or close to a 760 which you can see here : http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1038?vs=1350

So moral of the story, I would suggest 1 980 now to still get an increase in fps, and if you need it later like increasing your screen resolution to 2560x1440 or even 4k then move up to the sli.

Just my 2c however.

And CPU wise Sandybridge vs Haswell is not really going to get you too much, especially at 4.6 Ghz.
 
Option 1 is the least worst option out of the three but I would try to find a cheaper and/or better monitor.
 
Back
Top