• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

upgrade advice

polonyc2

Fully [H]
2FA
Joined
Oct 25, 2004
Messages
30,412
I currently have an E8400 going on 2 years now and am happy with it but I want to do a bit of future proofing...I use my system mainly for gaming (Crysis, Fallout 3, Modern Warfare 2, DiRT 2 etc)...would getting a Q9650 be a worthy upgrade?...I know most games do not take advantage of more then 2 cores but like I said I want to semi future proof...plus being able to multi task would be nice as well

the Core i7's and upcoming Gulftown CPU's seem like overkill as a gaming CPU...taking $$ out of the equation and basing it on performance alone, would I notice any performance differences in the Q9650 vs my current E8400...and would the Q9650 last me for another 2-3 years?...or would any of the current i7's be a better investment?
 
For most games an E8400 and Q9650 at equivalent speeds will deliver about the same performance. Now the Q9650 overall with two more cores has a lot more horsepower to spare and will crush an E8400 in highly threaded apps but games aren't generally highly threaded.

Save your money and invest in an i7 at a latter time. My i7 sig rig is running MUCH better than I thought it would. I'm getting a noticeable boost in performance in EVERYTHING coming from a QX9650 @ 3.67Ghz.
 
Save your money and invest in an i7 at a latter time. My i7 sig rig is running MUCH better than I thought it would. I'm getting a noticeable boost in performance in EVERYTHING coming from a QX9650 @ 3.67Ghz.

I wouldn't have figured that much of a performance gain going from a QX9650 to an i7...except for the heat issue the QX looked like it could hang with a similarly clocked i7
 
Back
Top