Upgrade Advice Requested

netbrad

Limp Gawd
Any thoughts on whether or not putting a "newer" (as in 6600GT, X800GTO, 6800XT) $150 video card into the following will make any difference? I almost feel like it would be putting a BMW engine into a Yugo:

AthlonXP 2200 @ 1.8Ghz
Biostar M7NCD motherboard
1 GB (2x512) CORSAIR ValueSelect DDR 400 (PC 3200) SDRAM
420W Power Supply

Current video card is a Geforce4 MX440, hence the upgrade. I would rather wait a month or two in order to save money for a new system then dump money into this one if its not worth an upgrade. Thoughts?

If you're in a position to save and do a full upgrade, then an incremental one isn't worth it.

I'd only go with the video card if it was all you could afford.

I had a P4 2.4Ghz and in it's lifespan it had 4 cards.
Ti4600-->>9800Pro-->>6800GT-->>7800GS(GT)

All cards gave extra prefomance, so I would say go for it...

Terra...

A newer card would do that system some good, but I wouldn't spend $150 on it. You should be able to find a 9800pro for around $50 which is about as must GPU power as that thing needs.

What are your gaming expectations? And do you plan to do a new rig soon?

If you really do want to game now on a low budget, then the 6600 would make a world of difference even in that rig.

But if you are planning a full upgrade in the next few months, save your money on that.

I would say hold off, i am currently running a 2500+ with a 6800 and while it was a nice upgrade from my 4600 i think it would be worth your while to hold off just a little longer. You are running AGP right now and if you upgrade to another AGP then when you go to upgrade your system you will be out that $150

Personally I am waiting for the official launch of the Core 2 duo and The price war between AMD and Intel to start. THen i planned on getting the most bang for my buck on which ever is the better bargin and upgrading to PCI Express at that time. I feel you pain brother, but hold out just a little longer and it should be worth your while.

I wouldn't wait too long if you are on a budget for upgrades. The prices of socket 939 processors are at an all time low.. you might want to take that $150 and upgrade now.

Your entire system is becoming an antique, and with the prices on 754/939/AM2 processors so low already and more price drops to come in the future, it may make sense to attempt to replace motherboard, processor and video all at once.

If you really just want to upgrade your AGP graphics, a 9600XT or 9800PRO can be had used for very cheap. I just found these on newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814153012R
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102362R

Personally I would aim for an entire upgrade. You may want to look into a 754/939 upgrade, so you can save your system memory instead of tossing in more cash to purchase DDR2.

I think wait in time for the conroe and then buy the pentium d 930 , which can be overclocked to 4.1 ghz just using normal 667mhz ram because of the multiplier, also they will probably drop at the time of release.

Dual core is something which i believe will make a lot of difference in games in the future. But definately make that change for ddr2 , cos the future gaming needs it.

If you buy the 6600 then they too will be dropping but i would say a bad investment if you have a option of waiting and changeing the whole system.

I wish i could do that. :)

Back