Upgrade advice as need performace boost

ritch1

Weaksauce
Hi

I recently brought a dell 2405 monitor and am thinking of upgrading my machine a bit so I can play games at its native resolutions. I currently have a Pentium 3.20 running a 6800GT graphics card and am thinking about upgrading to a motherboard that supports PCI express so I can get a 7800 GTX, before doing this I need a bit of advice on whether the upgrade is worth the performance boost I would be getting.

The 6800GT is a decent card for me but on those higher resolutions the performance is an issue.

Any help appreciated

thanks

Probably a fine plan.

Keep in mind you'll want to get a SLI mobo, since the native res on the 2405fpw is HIGH. Games coming out in the very near future are going to need a pair of 7800GTX cards to run smoothly 'native' with that monitor (with FSAA on), so you'll want to be able to do that upgrade when it's time.

yep i was thinking about the sli thing as a future plan, hopefully the prices will drop a bit, cant afford 2 7800s right now. this computer gigs so expensive, especially when trying to keep up with the technology. i was doing fine til i got the 2405, then realised i couldnt be satified utill playing on native res!!!

thanks

Back