• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrade advice (AM3)

erf

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 13, 2005
Messages
1,848
The current rig in my sig has been holding up quite well, but, it was put together with "upgrade" in mind.

I've got about $600 to spend on upgrades and need some advice here.

I'm still gaming on a 19" 1280x1024 monitor, and am definitely going to be getting a new monitor. The only thing I'm concerned with is moving on to widescreen. I've been looking at a bunch of 20"-21" monitors with resolutions from 1600x900 to 1680x1050. My reasoning is based on the fact that I'd rather have higher framer rates than a higher resolution. When purchasing a video card I'll probably go a little overboard so as to ensure max fps. The monitor I've got my eye on is only $129 on newegg so that leaves me 470 on what could be the rest of my upgrades.

Here is where I'm torn. I've been eyeing the x4 955, but am not sure how much of an upgrade it will be from my x2 550. If I can keep my x2 550 and just upgrade the video card(s) and PSU i'd do this.

If I did this, I'd probably end up ordering a new PSU and 2 6850's, then dropping the cash down the line on a new chip...probably the 955.

I may be way off the mark here but that's why I'm posting. Thanks.
 
955 are great chips and you should be able to get 4+ghz out of it.4 cores will improve every thing you do.6850's will make the machine fly.1680x1050 does not look that bad with a little AA turned up,you just don't have a bigger field of view.
 
Two 6850s would be great for a 1920x1080 resolution in most games. Why not grab one 6850 and the X4 955 at the same time?
 
I'd go with a 1600x900 monitor and an x3 740 BE for $90, as you already have a cooler.

Your PSU can handle an overclocked GF100 (like a 465) or even an OCed 5830 (around 180w TDP) along with an x6 @ 1.45v, 3.8-4.0ghz. In other words, keep it and enjoy it.

That would free up cash for as damn good of a video card as you can get. With the x3 Black even at ~3.5ghz there won't be hardly any bottleneck at all, much much less than with the x2 in newer games, and it's likely that the CPU will unlock anyway and get to 4ghz... and in that situation you're talking about serious performance for the money.
 
Two 6850s would be great for a 1920x1080 resolution in most games. Why not grab one 6850 and the X4 955 at the same time?
Hmm, I think you may be right. I could just do the cpu and get one vid card now then get a second vid card and psu later...yeah I think that's what I'm going to do.
 
Back
Top