• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrade 9500pro - opinions please!

Swishbish33

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 26, 2005
Messages
177
I have an older system that my brother would like to use to game on a little. It has a AthlonXP 1700+ OC'd to 2 Ghz, 512 MB RAM at 220 Mhz (BH-5, could go higher, but lazy), pretty tight timings, on a NF7-S v2.0 (Nforce 2). I want to upgrade the 9500 pro in hopes that maybe I can string out the life of the computer so he can game on it. The question is, is there a reasonably priced video card ($100-$200) that will be a worthy upgrade? Or is the processor and memory subsystem going to hinder any video card upgrade? Thanks in advance everyone.
 
Normally I wouldnt really mind that subsystem but 512MB of memory is just simply not enough these days. Grab 512MB off of newegg for about $50, save up another $30 and then grab the 6800nu.
 
Skrying said:
Normally I wouldnt really mind that subsystem but 512MB of memory is just simply not enough these days. Grab 512MB off of newegg for about $50, save up another $30 and then grab the 6800nu.

Are there any issues with mixing 512mb sticks on the Nforce2? I thought I remember there being an issue with it. I have one stick of 512mb old BH-5 (Buffalo Tech, have served me well)
 
Swishbish33 said:
Are there any issues with mixing 512mb sticks on the Nforce2? I thought I remember there being an issue with it. I have one stick of 512mb old BH-5 (Buffalo Tech, have served me well)
Nope, on my NF2, I had 256mb Corsair, 256MB I forget, and 512MB Kingston.

No problems there.
 
Back
Top